E21C5A76-D0CD-4732-8DCD-863170773E46.jpeg
062D916B-C5C9-4C39-B44A-46FD92FEB5C8.jpeg
8AB8967F-53E5-431F-9F57-38AE7CEF2D85.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, it isn't a minor fix. The first two pics show under a tree. No lawn grass will grow in the shade in Texas. Folks use either ground covers or containerized shade loving plants in a situation like this. On the last picture I cannot tell if the bald spot comes from being shaded or if it is from being walked on and compacted. If from compaction you can dig it up to a depth of 3 or 4 inches, add a little compost and then either reseed with new seed and fertilize but don't walk on it. If from shade the same answer from previous pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is that tree? Looks quite large from the shadow. Most authorities recommend not putting a tree within 40 ft of a house as they dry out under the foundation causing subsidence. Not so serious if it is a bungalow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IF, IF that was a large tree when the the cement was poured I would agree. A newly planted tree will not send roots under a slab or wide cement covered area. A trees roots MUST have moisture and oxygen and both are absent so the tree will not send roots into an unfavorable area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting view, Chuck. It is advice I have seen widely given on planting trees, but I can see some logic in what you say. I would disagree about the moisture, at least in some cases. There are houses around here that had to be re-built because damp was getting through a badly laid slab and disrupting the floors. I guess it depends on the layers of sub-soil and where the water table is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
An interesting view, Chuck. It is advice I have seen widely given on planting trees, but I can see some logic in what you say. I would disagree about the moisture, at least in some cases. There are houses around here that had to be re-built because damp was getting through a badly laid slab and disrupting the floors. I guess it depends on the layers of sub-soil and where the water table is.
Yes, you are correct. A poorly laid slab can absorb moisture and this is caused by two things. Too much moisture in the cement to begin with and poorly compacted subsoil on which the slab was constructed. To a lessor degree it can also depend upon surface draining

Reaction score
Country
United States
The soil does not look good in those pictures.
The first ones look like compacted sand.
The second is either heavy water run off from the drive or heavy foot traffic.

The area around my house gets heavy dose of water and some feeding to keep it green and full.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Try mondo grass or liriope (lily bulbs basically) in the first pic area and stop tossing liquids, stepping in the other without a paving stone(s) to land on. Compost will help under the tree in the first pic but mulched with a bird bath and stones to and from it might be easier. Do you funnel traffic in and out of there by the driveway? Move a car? First pic looks like a eroded clay soil with roots rising to breathe because they have to, and the lawn looks like all cold season grasses, clumping like fescues wil do. I envy that driveway side wall exposure because if it is eastern it is great for morning sun plants that can produce amazing flowers, roses maybe. Big tree roots will suck the moisture from an area where grass is competing and the grass loses the water battle.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Try mondo grass or liriope (lily bulbs basically) in the first pic area and stop tossing liquids, stepping in the other without a paving stone(s) to land on. Compost will help under the tree in the first pic but mulched with a bird bath and stones to and from it might be easier. Do you funnel traffic in and out of there by the driveway? Move a car? First pic looks like a eroded clay soil with roots rising to breathe because they have to, and the lawn looks like all cold season grasses, clumping like fescues wil do. I envy that driveway side wall exposure because if it is eastern it is great for morning sun plants that can produce amazing flowers, roses maybe. Big tree roots will suck the moisture from an area where grass is competing and the grass loses the water battle.
I have had good luck planting seed varieties labeled “high traffic” in the are from my drive to back slider and along the drive where kids get in and out.
If it where not for a section that got hit with plow blade it would look good. It does take extra watering and a dose of liquid fertilizer here and there.
Even in front of the grill has filled in better over the years since the “high traffic” blends been going down. I dont use a specific brand just every other year I buy a small bag with that label. Scotts high traffic has been popular through the years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have had good luck planting seed varieties labeled “high traffic” in the are from my drive to back slider and along the drive where kids get in and out.
If it where not for a section that got hit with plow blade it would look good. It does take extra watering and a dose of liquid fertilizer here and there.
Even in front of the grill has filled in better over the years since the “high traffic” blends been going down. I dont use a specific brand just every other year I buy a small bag with that label. Scotts high traffic has been popular through the years.
I looked it up and a home depot Q&A response says the Scotts is Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass. I assume the ryegrass is the periennial type not the annual form. Does it snow there? Are you near to the ocean enough to deal with salt?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I looked it up and a home depot Q&A response says the Scotts is Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass. I assume the ryegrass is the periennial type not the annual form. Does it snow there? Are you near to the ocean enough to deal with salt?
Snow yes salt issues no.
Picture shows where there is constant foot traffic
51C220A7-DC5F-4AF5-9629-B64C10A5251C.jpeg
DC5AB14D-6AD0-4E59-AFA4-21E209A95717.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see what you mean about the fescue liking that area. There are fescues like the TitanRX or ultra cultivars that can up the game but that grass is doing well as it is.
Im willing to try anything , 21 years ago when we moved in the lawn was more of feed type grasses and sand or compacted clay.
For a few years I just put down any old seed with out much thought. Turns out I was planting some varieties that need alot of water. Then I started laying down K31 that turned out to be a bad choice wife and kids hated the thick some what stiff blades.
Then I asked a neighbor what he used for seed as his lawn looked good. He says Lesco pro team

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This one maybe?
20200623_215351.jpg

There are a lot of tall fescues. The ones I have tried in that Titan series were tuned for heat tolerance. I have trouble with too much shade, and then it can be 90f+ in the shade and dry in the deep summer. Mostly even the best fescue has to be reseeded annually south of Birmingham AL.

Ask a Question