Bag Gardener

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been experimenting with planting my garden directly into bags of soil, mostly to extend our VERY short growing season, and to keep the local wildlife OUT. This is my second year, and so far, so good...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The bags already have breathing holes from the factory to prevent mold, so they do very well as is. They have gone through a few down pours with no ill effects on the plants, so we'll wait and see....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So far this year I have harvested lettuce, beets, and kohlrabi, all DELICIOUS. The cherry tomatoes are almost ripe, and green beans are a couple of inches long. Peas are right behind them, as I planted them outdoors too early and had to start them over. I am having trouble with squash, they are forming fruit that dies almost immediately (probably because the bees haven't started pollinating yet),or only form male flowers. That happened to me last year, too. Cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and eggplant are making beautiful plants, but no vegetables yet, it is probably too early for them. I left okra and black-eyed peas in the greenhouse since they like heat and they are flowering right now. Gardening in this area is a challenge, as there is no good soil and temperatures only get above freezing for two months. I'm hoping that between the greenhouse and planting in bags I can at least enjoy a few fresh vegetables !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The jury is still out on the peppers ( jalapeno, green, and banana), and the regular tomatoes ( early girl and an heirloom striped)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The jury is still out on the peppers ( jalapeno, green, and banana), and the regular tomatoes ( early girl and an heirloom striped)
I now have six spaghetti squash, three pumpkins and more zucchini than I can eat! The peppers have small ones started, hope they make it!

Ask a Question