Bacterial black spot?

Reaction score
Country
Thailand

This is really frustrating. I first thought this was anthracnose but I know think its BBS. Any thoughts?
(New leaves are growing and I’m trying my best to prevent diseases. This tree keeps on getting infected and it’s annoying.

Also, should the infected leaves (~60%) be completely removed or should i wait till autumn?

Attachments

• 089D0029-D39A-434D-BC53-32864D487DC9.jpeg
    089D0029-D39A-434D-BC53-32864D487DC9.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see no indication of either black spot or anthracnose. I do see a fairly heavy infestation of scale insects on the stem. I bet if you spray with Neem 2 or 3 times all of your problems will go away.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I see no indication of either black spot or anthracnose. I do see a fairly heavy infestation of scale insects on the stem. I bet if you spray with Neem 2 or 3 times all of your problems will go away.
I sprayed them with chlorpyrifos, I’m surprised that these pests are still there

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Also, are you sure that the leaves aren’t infected with bbs? I dont think the scale will cause the sides the tear and turn brown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sprayed them with chlorpyrifos, I’m surprised that these pests are still there
If you sprayed them with chlorpyrifos they are dead. These are hard scale insects and they permanently attach themselves to the plant. They will eventually fall off. Why are you using this dangerous chemical when there are safe products just as good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, are you sure that the leaves aren’t infected with bbs? I dont think the scale will cause the sides the tear and turn brown
What has happened is that the scale on the trunk and stems has weakened the foliage to the extent that other, flying insects have chewed on the leaves. Blackspot and anthracnose doesn't look like that. All you have is minor insect damage as a side effect of the scale.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
What has happened is that the scale on the trunk and stems has weakened the foliage to the extent that other, flying insects have chewed on the leaves. Blackspot and anthracnose doesn't look like that. All you have is minor insect damage as a side effect of the scale.
Thank you very much. I wanted to ask one more question, will these hard scale insects easily come off when wiped when they are dead? I think they are pretty much dead

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
If you sprayed them with chlorpyrifos they are dead. These are hard scale insects and they permanently attach themselves to the plant. They will eventually fall off. Why are you using this dangerous chemical when there are safe products just as good.
Someone suggested it to me, i searched for safer homemade insecticide such as oil and washing up liquid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you very much. I wanted to ask one more question, will these hard scale insects easily come off when wiped when they are dead? I think they are pretty much dead
No, they are attached to the tree. Sort of like a barnacle on a piling. The plant will grow a small amount and force the scale to fall off.
Someone suggested it to me, i searched for safer homemade insecticide such as oil and washing up liquid.
Neem oil is safe and effective and works great for scale, eggs and many other insects. Neem is an insecticide, fungicide and miticide all in one bottle. That chlorpyrifos has been banned in many places. Even liquid Sevin would be a better choice for most applications. I don't know if you can get spinosad in Thailand but if you can it will take care of just about any insects or caterpillar you will encounter and it is totally safe for humans and animals.

Homemade stuff may or may not work. Homemade deterrents like garlic tea work fairly well but I have seen too many horror episodes where homemade oil and soap remedys ended up with disastrous results.

Last edited:

Ask a Question