Backyard ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We are looking to buy a house and one of the things I am interested in is to have a big backyard so that I can do a pond garden set up. I would like to have all of my veggies and flower plants surround the pond so that it becomes a peaceful place to be. Has anyone tried this before? I have heard of flowers being planted near ponds, but not vegetables.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read an article that suggested the best way to grow veggies near a pond due to the soggy water in the area is to plant your veggies in a raised bed to avoid root rot due to flooding.

Reaction score
My in laws have a pond that is surrounded by a lot plants, but not veggies! I guess it can be done tho but I'd only leave that to experienced gardeners. I might ask my soon to be father in law about it the next time I see him, he should know for sure since he has worked has a gardener for the council for very long.

Reaction score
This a picture of my beautiful backyard pond. This bond was built less than two weeks with the help of family and friends. My pond is surrounded by flowers, rocks and pebbles for the designing. Some fishes were added to the pleasure of it. All you need handy is a few materials and a shovel, and before you know it, you'll have your own little garden pond to enjoy. Being around this garden pond is very peaceful.

Nancy_Hartwell_flower_garden.jpg

Reaction score
This a picture of my beautiful backyard pond. This bond was built less than two weeks with the help of family and friends. My pond is surrounded by flowers, rocks and pebbles for the designing. Some fishes were added to the pleasure of it. All you need handy is a few materials and a shovel, and before you know it, you'll have your own little garden pond to enjoy. Being around this garden pond is very peaceful.

View attachment 2857

Your backyard pond is gorgeous!

I have always wanted a backyard pond, filled with frogs and fish. I think they just bring a whole new realm of beauty to a yard. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Naturalbeauty- that is a gorgous pond, I love it! I can't wait until I have a yard in which I can do such things! It would be nice to spend a warm summer evening sitting next to my pond reading a good book!

Reaction score
As others have said, raised beds are the way to go to avoid rot. Another thing to consider is adding some small pump or feature to keep the water from stagnating.

Reaction score
Your backyard pond is gorgeous!

I have always wanted a backyard pond, filled with frogs and fish. I think they just bring a whole new realm of beauty to a yard. :)
Thank you! :)

Yes, it's gorgeous indeed. I do have some frogs in my backyard pond. They helped themselves in lol. But having them around leaping all over the place brings a lot of joy, especially when they make that croaking song at night.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Naturalbeauty- that is a gorgous pond, I love it! I can't wait until I have a yard in which I can do such things! It would be nice to spend a warm summer evening sitting next to my pond reading a good book!
Thank you, Rosyrain. :D

Yes, I agree. I spend a lot of time around my backyard pond every afternoon reading a book and having a cold glass of lemon. It's so peaceful there... :)

Reaction score

View attachment 2857[/QUOTE

Omg!!! I think your backyard pond is just so adorable. I have been thinking of doing this for quite some time now but I think my greatest reservation is the frogs; I've been afraid of frogs since I was a child and that fear just wont go away. Your pond gives me added motivation though.

Reaction score
Thank you Kammy!!! :)

I was afraid of frogs myself, but over time I got used to them being around. Actually, the other day my boyfriend got me to hold one but to be honest, I was a little shaky for a while because of the looks of its eyes. Having frogs around your garden pond is amusing to watch them hopping around and gulping down on anything they can catch. But anything else from that, it's nice to have a garden pond in your own backyard. :LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it depends on what type of pond you mean. If you're talking about a POND pound you should use a plant bed or whatever to avoid the flooding. If you have one of those little shovel ponds you should be good many people have those little garden and tiny pond set ups in their back yard.

Reaction score

View attachment 2857

That is a gorgeous photo. You did a great job designing the pond. I can't believe you did all that in only 2 weeks.

Reaction score
That is a gorgeous photo. You did a great job designing the pond. I can't believe you did all that in only 2 weeks.
Thank you, ACSAPA. Actually, it was finished in less than two weeks. Thanks to the help of family and friends who came out and help me. I have always wanted a garden pond in my back yard and now there it is... I love it!!!

Reaction score
That sounds very nice and very beautiful. A backyard pond sounds like a nice Idea I actually never thought about that before.

Ask a Question