Backyard ideas

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I have very little design experience and am looking for inspiration
DE80C344-CA07-4D29-B04C-5C6A333BF797.jpeg
for a section of the backyard (see pics). I have been told due to a number of reasons, the wall needs to stay put. I now need to incorporate it into a pool pergola/pool area.

Attachments

• FECAC623-42E1-40A7-9E0C-A62A629F0CD0.jpeg
    FECAC623-42E1-40A7-9E0C-A62A629F0CD0.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

So many questions?

Are you talking about the brick retaining wall? Yes, I would think that would need to remain.

Where is the pool pergola? Is it built yet? Is it inside the green fenced-in pool area?

Does the green fence have to stay too?

Are asking about what (else) could be planted on top of the retaining wall, or are you asking what can be done with the concrete area between the retaining wall and the green fence? ...or something else?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Marck
Thanks for reaching out. No the pergola hasn’t been built yet. We are just trying to gather ideas. The plan is to replace the green fence with a glass one that includes more of the area. We are just not sure what to do with the walls and how to incorporate it into the pool area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I would need to see more photos and plans to understand what you are considering.

If the green fence is removed, you could put the pool pergola in the corner of the retaining wall with a light gap for vines or other plants to grow or spill down the wall. Basically giving an otherwise, open-sided pergola, 'living walls' on two sides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would add an L-Shaped raised garden bed/some potted plants. If not, I would remove the fence (but not the wall) and add some pool loungers, perhaps a bench or two as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Of course, those pool fences usually get put in for safety, liability, and legality reasons. Is it no longer the case, that the fence is needed?
...and yes, there might well be differing opinions and viewpoints in that regard.

Ask a Question