Back yard fences

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most people have a fence in their yards to section off their yard from their neighbors and to keep their pets safe. I like the tall fences that give your privacy also while keeping pets safe.

Do you use you like the open space concept or the fences yard? Tall fence, short fence?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Where I'm living right now, we have a high-ish fence. It's good for us right now -- there's a quote by someone (not 100% sure who!) that says something along the lines of "good fences build good neighbors" and I think that rings true!

We have a dog that likes to play in the yard, and he's the type that would run off if he had free space to roam, I'm sure - so fences work for us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
On our mini-farm, we have a lot of fences. First, we have the main perimeter fence, which encloses most of the property in back, but not the front yard. It is made of non-climb horse fencing, which is a very sturdy woven wire with narrow openings, stretched between alternating 4 X 4's and T-posts for economy. To make sure coyotes are kept out, we ran the bottom wire right along the ground and let the grass grow up through the fence, so it has created a barrier that is pretty much impenetrable. The coyotes can't dig under or slip through it.

Inside the perimeter fence we have subdivided our farm into smaller sections. We have two small fenced orchards, a large pasture, a paddock for young wethers, and two more fenced areas that we use as our main gardens. We like to use some of these fences as trellises for beans and even pumpkins! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
On our mini-farm, we have a lot of fences. First, we have the main perimeter fence, which encloses most of the property in back, but not the front yard. It is made of non-climb horse fencing, which is a very sturdy woven wire with narrow openings, stretched between alternating 4 X 4's and T-posts for economy. To make sure coyotes are kept out, we ran the bottom wire right along the ground and let the grass grow up through the fence, so it has created a barrier that is pretty much impenetrable. The coyotes can't dig under or slip through it.

Inside the perimeter fence we have subdivided our farm into smaller sections. We have two small fenced orchards, a large pasture, a paddock for young wethers, and two more fenced areas that we use as our main gardens. We like to use some of these fences as trellises for beans and even pumpkins! :)

That's smart to use some of the fences as trellises - very useful way to multipurpose something!

Reaction score
The new house has a very old short fence that is just rotting away, I definitely want something much taller because I like privacy... I'd like a different material, because wood doesn't do well in the Netherlands :/ I'm thinking of brick, because I just don't want my kids to get in trouble with the neighbors (when I have kids). Plus both neighbors grow their own weed...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At my old house, we have chain fences around our property because we are in the city and it is normal for everyone to have it.

Now, I live at the condo, and there is no fence around. I don't even know where the property line is. It is all open!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a barbed wire fence surrounding the eight acres of pasture and pond, and a wire fence between the front and back yards. All the fencing was here when we bought, and just needed tightening and repair. We walk the fence line twice a year and do anything that needs to be done to keep the fence up, since there are cattle to one side of us, and in back of us.
I use the backyard/front yard fence as trellis, too.
coral vine.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We built a fence last summer with cattle panels and treated 2x4's and 4x4's. The design is something inspired by a DIY blogger my husband found online. It is 'see-through,' and functions in keeping the neighbor's dogs out of our back yard and our dog in our backyard. It was an inexpensive, attractive option that my husband enjoyed having as a summer project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a 6ft stockade fence around my back yard for privacy and to keep the dog in, it also has a 6t stockade gate, the front has 3.5 ft chain link fence for the same reason it also keeps the other dogs from using my yard as their potty area.:mad:

Ask a Question