Back In The Garden Again!

Reaction score
I was very down about my spring garden not doing very well so I put off planting anything for the summer garden. Yesterday I went berry picking and that cheered me up quite right. After getting done with that I dropped by Walmart quickly and got some discounted plants. Here is what I got:

green bell peppers
yellow bell peppers
banana peppers
jalapeno peppers
black cherry tomato
straight neck squash
zukes
eggplants
cucumbers
cantaloupe
watermelon
sweet potatoes

more basil, thyme, cilantro and oregano.

Hubby got out and helped me retill the garden yesterday and now I am happy again. :D

Reaction score
Sounds really good, Shelly Ann, sounds like a really good purchase! Have fun in the garden ;) It's going to be a very busy season for you, that's for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, you have so many new plants:) It's wonderful! For me, buying plants is as pleasant as buying new clothes, I always have a lot of fun in gardening stores. I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but do banana peppers taste like bananas? I've never tried them.

Reaction score
@Trellum yes it will be a busy season. I hope I can keep up. I also planted several rows of flowers in the garden as well. I had bought lots of deep discounted flower seeds last year from an area store for as little as 2 cents per package and I planted 3 different kinds of sunflowers, zinnias, a mixed cutting packet or two and a few more that I am forgetting the name of right now. The garden will be lovely when they all bloom.

@claudine I am addicted to plants as well and those pretty seed packets too!

Reaction score
Gardening is good for the morale and we do have to take the good with the bad. The plants should really take off once you get them into the ground. They will catch up quickly to the other ones that you may already have planted.

Reaction score
@Trellum yes it will be a busy season. I hope I can keep up. I also planted several rows of flowers in the garden as well. I had bought lots of deep discounted flower seeds last year from an area store for as little as 2 cents per package and I planted 3 different kinds of sunflowers, zinnias, a mixed cutting packet or two and a few more that I am forgetting the name of right now. The garden will be lovely when they all bloom.

@claudine I am addicted to plants as well and those pretty seed packets too!

Wow, Shelly Ann, who would have thought the past winter was so darn cold! For a moment I thought that you guys wouldn't have a summer! Glad you are enjoying the summer. Is it as warm as usual or you notice it's less warm than it was the previous years?

Reaction score
You did great Shellyann! Gotta look up black cherry tomatoes. Never heard of those. Hope it's cooler there to be working the garden than here now. If I can't work an hour in the morning or an hour at dusk here, my gardening has to wait til the next day haha

Reaction score
Sounds wonderful. I could not find any decent starter plants at the right time this year. Everything looked awful in my area at least for the summer crops. I need to start thinking about the fall plantings.

Reaction score
@firelily99 Gardening has been a real outlet for me in the past. I hope that I get that feeling back 100%. They are looking very good. Now as long as I can keep the deer, rabbits and squirrels out of them I will be doing alright.

@Trellum our summer is hot and humid. That is pretty normal for here. It actually got hot faster this year though. We had summer weather in the spring.

@Tommyotommy Those black cherry tomatoes look so good on the label. I hope they taste as good. Its hot and humid here. They are talking about possible tropical storms later this week.

@MindyT I really want to get started thinking about my Fall garden as well but I asked a question concerning getting broccoli and cabbage started should I start them inside or just seed them outside and I have not received an answer as of yet.

Reaction score
Yea but hopefully that storm will just bring y'all a little rain and be over with there before the holiday weekend. Storms moving a little slow and I don't like that though. We have to be so cautious this time of year. Your new plants will really love a little tropical rain though.

Reaction score
Yea but hopefully that storm will just bring y'all a little rain and be over with there before the holiday weekend. Storms moving a little slow and I don't like that though. We have to be so cautious this time of year. Your new plants will really love a little tropical rain though.

Yes the storm is moving way too slow for my liking as well. It might end up being more. I am keeping tabs on the news.

Reaction score
I heard Thursday night it will be near the outer banks. Are you near the coast? Fingers crossed for y'all. A friend lives on cape cod and that's really not looking good. northeast has had way too many last few years.

Reaction score
I heard Thursday night it will be near the outer banks. Are you near the coast? Fingers crossed for y'all. A friend lives on cape cod and that's really not looking good. northeast has had way too many last few years.

They have upgraded it to a hurricane and they are making mandatory evacuations in some places along the coast. I live in the middle of the state. We will likely have some rain and a few storms from the ordeal but nothing like the coast is going to get.

Ask a Question