Azalea looking thin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Seems Everytime I move into a new house my azaleas start thinking within a few years. Everyone locally says"don't do anything special, water them and trim them when needed". Well, that's all I do! They get a little 8-8-8 once a year, but that's it. Now they are looking thin and this one has some yellowing. Any idea what's going on?

IMG_20190509_183412423.jpg
IMG_20190509_183415856.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think a lot of times azalea are lumped with slow growers like boxwood, but if you fertilize lightly but more frequently they respond. Obviously they need at least some actual light, our heavy shade specimens are leggy.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Azaleas need acidic soils and can quickly show signs of iron deficiency or chlorosis as those pictured are appearing to do....but overall I'd say they are fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Feed them every year before they leaf out. The composition of the leaves is a reflection of what's present in the soil at that time, and won't change by feeding after the fact. Feeding later feeds the next set of buds, which is fine, but if you want nice leaves, feed just before they leaf out with Miracle Grow or something like it. Feed with granular ferts in autumn so it has time to break down and leach into the soil & litter and become available to the plants. Do both, and you'll see results. Hard trimming of longer shoots back to a leaf cluster immediately after flowering will result in low, dense plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Feed them every year before they leaf out. The composition of the leaves is a reflection of what's present in the soil at that time, and won't change by feeding after the fact. Feeding later feeds the next set of buds, which is fine, but if you want nice leaves, feed just before they leaf out with Miracle Grow or something like it. Feed with granular ferts in autumn so it has time to break down and leach into the soil & litter and become available to the plants. Do both, and you'll see results. Hard trimming of longer shoots back to a leaf cluster immediately after flowering will result in low, dense plants.

They hold leaves year round here. Never have bare bushes. So when would you recommend fertilizing?

Ask a Question