Azalea [encore] not thriving

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the spring, I planted 2 Encore azaleas. I chose an area that met the sunlight and drainage requirements, and they are planted about 4 feet apart. One shrub has done well. The other shrub, while not dead, hasn't thrived like its companion. Entire sections have wilted and gone brown.

The only thing I can think of that I might have done wrong was planting them too deep. The other day, I lifted the soil & root ball of each shrub and added some extra soil underneath. Of course, it's too soon to know if this will help, and it might be too late for the non-thriving shrub.

So, this isn't really a question for you, but maybe a topic of discussion on proper planting methods for azaleas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, so no replies.

The bush in question has completely perished, but the other one is doing well. So my only assumption IS that I planted the dead one too deep. I will see if I can find a replacement, then wait until cooler weather to replant.

Ask a Question