Awful weed with long, spreading roots among my strawberries!

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello all!

I have a little strawberry patch in the corner of my garden. This year it's completely overrun with what looks (smells?) like wild mint. Essentially, these weeds sprout upwards from a long, horizontally lying root in the ground. Every time I uproot these nasty things I pull up half my strawberries because the weeds are entangled with the strawberry roots! How can I get rid of them? Alternatively, how can I staunch their growth? I think they're strangling my poor little strawberries who are looking rather worse for wear this year.

Thanks in advance!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most plants in the mint family are aggressive spreaders. My only suggestion is to keep pulling them until they are all gone, and when more pop up, do the same. I had a similar issue with aquatic mint. It was spreading a little too quickly in my bog filter for my pond, so I pulled as much out as I could. I'm still finding it pop up here and there, but it's been easier to manage since I got most of it out.

Ask a Question