Avocado

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hi everyone. I have put an avocado seed in water for over a month. It is like the picture now. Is it time to plant it in soil or shall I wait longer? What kind of soil is needed and how is the watering? How much deep should I plant it? What kind of weather and temperature is needed to have a healthy plant? Thanks an ocean for your kind replies.
_20211019_194340.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I would plant your Avocado (Persea americana) in potting soil now. It is interesting to watch seeds and cuttings sprout roots in water, but planting in soil does save a step. Also, the skewer wounds on the seed could be a source of infection, but with any luck everything will turn out fine. If possible, grow it in a container over winter and then plant it in the ground in Spring.

An avocado will do best with full sun, regular water, and good drainage. Your hardiness zone of 9b-10a should be fine for most types of avocado. Do you know the name of the parent cultivar that the seed came from?

Down the road, when the tree is larger, you will want another variety for cross-pollination. Since this is a seedling it is unknown which varieties will be best for cross-pollination. Fruit quality is also unknown, but if it turns out to be very good, you might potentially have a new cultivar. I should add that self-pollination is possible, but not reliably so. You can try hand-pollinating flowers to give you greater yield.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Thanks a lot Marck. No, I don't know the parent's name. Would you please tell me how deep should I plant it? Shall I put the whole seed and roots into the soil or leave the seed out and just burry the roots? And one more question, what should I do to avoid the skewer wound from being infected after planting it in the soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bury the seed so that the soil surface is 1 or 2 centimeters above the top of the seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
In this way, the stem that is coming out would be completely buried. Shouldn't I leave some of it out of the soil? What about the wound? I should be buried unprotected!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is fine to let a seedling emerge from the soil. The wounds from the wooden skewers or toothpicks are not ideal, but they must now heal as best they can. If you feel more comfortable leaving the seed partly out of the soil that might work fine too. Just make sure the seedling is stable in the soil and not likely to tip over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
One more question, should I take the toothpicks out completely before planting or it's enough to cut them just above the surface of the seed and leave the remaining part inside the seed? Sorry for asking too many questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would remove the toothpicks. Realize that the seed will disappear as the seedling feeds on the stored nutrients inside it. After awhile, the seed structure will be no concern at all. You just don't want it to rot prematurely while the seedling is still dependent on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
I planted the seedling as in the picture. Is the depth ok? How often should I water it inside the pot indoors? Should I give it direct sunlight or it is enough through the glass?

Attachments

• _20211022_151937.JPG
    _20211022_151937.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 16

Ask a Question