Avocado seed not sprouting

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my avocado kernels to sprout with the help of the internet and it hasn't really been working for me...I already tried four times with kernels from various stages of the fruit's maturity and nothing.

The method I read was the following:
  • You get a glass/small container with water.
  • You slightly pierce the kernel at 4 sides with toothpicks to create something to prevent the kernel from submerging.
  • You leave this bizzare contruction somewhere away from direct sunlight and wait 2-3 weeks.
Now, I'm either doing something wrong or all the seeds were duds...or the method itself isn't right.
PS: I used the kernel of avocados from supermarkets, I don't know if it's of any help to know.

Has this method ever worked for you, or do you have a different method to sprout the seed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If the avacodo was harvested before it was mature it will not be capable of reproduction. Kind of like those gas ripened tomatoes grocery stores are always selling. Their seeds won't sprout either simply because they were harvested too soon. Being ripe and being mature are two different things

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you tried to keep them in a wet paper towel for a few days before putting them into a jar of water? I have tried in the past and my seed dried out and then it would not sprout at all.

Reaction score
If the avacodo was harvested before it was mature it will not be capable of reproduction. Kind of like those gas ripened tomatoes grocery stores are always selling. Their seeds won't sprout either simply because they were harvested too soon. Being ripe and being mature are two different things

I see what you mean, you're quite right. Now that I think about it, the supermarkets get immature avocados and leave them to ripen in the shelves. It makes sense now that my seeds wouldn't sprout.
I'll try to get a fruit that has been properly harvested, thanks for the advice!

Have you tried to keep them in a wet paper towel for a few days before putting them into a jar of water? I have tried in the past and my seed dried out and then it would not sprout at all.

Thanks for the tip, one of my seeds was so dry that the outer woody layer would peel off, I didn't think I could salvage it like that. I'll try that too!

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
What type of spil are you keeping it in? Maybe that has to do with the seeds drying off? We have an avocado tree in our backyard and the moment it gets too hot, the bark starts looking terrible. We usually have to water it a lot. We didn't plant it though so I don't know if that has to do with it.

Reaction score
"Spil"?? Do you mean soil? If so, my seeds didn't even make it to sprouting. The moment I got the seeds I put them in the water jar.

Ask a Question