Avacado under or over water? Or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted this Haas avacado tree about 4 weeks ago- everything looked green and healthy when it arrived in it's small shipping container pot. I potted it in this wine barrel (which lots of 1 3/8" drain holes) using potting mix. the soil got absolutely drenched the first week due to a heavy rain. the moisture in the soil now is generally moist below about 3 inches... I've watered it a bit as needed when the top 2-3 inches of soil gets completely dry..

Does the brown on the stemps and some leaves here look like a water (too much/too little) issue? Or something else?

Attachments

• avacado_browning.jpg
    avacado_browning.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 16
  • avacado_browning_crop.jpg
    avacado_browning_crop.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Too much water I think the one I have from a stone was in a large pot went the same I cut it off and left about a inch of stem and put it in a smaller pot to just take the roots as come away again.
24864201-5397-4B78-9607-D73E99EA67E3.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What size pot was it in when you got it? I think you have over-potted it and it is staying too wet. Since it hasn’t been very long, you can gently remove it from that barrel and plant it in something closer to the size pot it was in. Dig down around the original root ball and try to get it out without disturbing the roots. Make sure you do not plant it any deeper than it was in the original pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What size pot was it in when you got it? I think you have over-potted it and it is staying too wet. Since it hasn’t been very long, you can gently remove it from that barrel and plant it in something closer to the size pot it was in. Dig down around the original root ball and try to get it out without disturbing the roots. Make sure you do not plant it any deeper than it was in the original pot.
Thanks I will give this a try- it came in a container that was about 8" across by about 10" tall. So the wine barrel planter is definitely a alot bigger.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We planted this Haas avacado tree about 4 weeks ago- everything looked green and healthy when it arrived in it's small shipping container pot. I potted it in this wine barrel (which lots of 1 3/8" drain holes) using pot

ting mix. the soil got absolutely drenched the first week due to a heavy rain. the moisture in the soil now is generally moist below about 3 inches... I've watered it a bit as needed when the top 2-3 inches of soil gets completely dry..

Does the brown on the stemps and some leaves here look like a water (too much/too little) issue? Or something else?
This is a good potting video if this helps.

Ask a Question