Autumn Flowers

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Autumn will soon arrive What kind of flowers do you plant in autumn.Rose is all season flower. I plant rose as well as marigold in autumn. What kind of flowers flower in autumn? In autumn I will have marigold, rose. and hibiscus.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I think of Autumn, I think of certain colors. Orange, red, yellow, brown, golds - warmer colors. The flowers I typically buy and care for in the fall are sunflowers and mums. Currently, I have a dark red mum plant, a bright yellow mum plant, an orange mum plant, and a white mum plant. I love displaying each color on a different step in the front of my house, as I have 4 front porch steps. I also add tall sunflower plants that stick out from behind bales of hay on the actual porch. In my front garden, I have burning bushes with dark mulch, which looks absolutely stunning with the contrast in color. My curb appeal really increases in the fall because of the beautiful colors of the flowers and plants I have, in addition to the fall leaves and pine cones. In the back of my house, I do always have roses. I enjoy rose plants because they last very long, but the colors aren't typically associated with fall, so I keep them in the back. Around my area (Upstate NY) most of the plants don't make it too far into the fall because it gets extremely cold, so that it why I choose the plants I do for the front of my house.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have Sneezeweed
IMG_1940 copy.jpg

Bottle Gentian
IMG_1984 copy.jpg

Great Blue Lobelia
IMG_1996 copy.jpg

As well as Brown-eyed Susan, and another type of Aster that I can't remember right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Usually a few annual Mums of varying colors and we have 3 Perennial Mums. Also Perennial Asters, both for looks and as one of the last things available around here for pollinators before winter arrives .

as1.JPG
as2.JPG
as3.JPG
as5.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like the idea of perennial mums...this may seem like a silly question but are the mums sold during fall in planters everywhere up north actually perennials or annuals? I planted some in the ground in fall, years ago, and they did not come back.

This year I bought a planter of yellow mums for the front porch, and white ones for the back deck.

This is also a good time of year to plant perennials, at least in my zone. Plus, WIN, many are deeply discounted at the end of the season. I've planted hollyhocks, foxglove and weigelia this last week. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do not plant them. I have already planted them. I plant perennials so to have some blooming now in the fall as well as others through the year. so I do not have to plant.

This is confusing. You do not plant perennials, because you have already planted them...so you have, or perhaps you have not. On the other hand you have, so you don't have to do so again? Or it's stupid to plant anything. Or you won't, because, reasons. o_O
Huh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I like the idea of perennial mums...this may seem like a silly question but are the mums sold during fall in planters everywhere up north actually perennials or annuals? I planted some in the ground in fall, years ago, and they did not come back.

This year I bought a planter of yellow mums for the front porch, and white ones for the back deck.

This is also a good time of year to plant perennials, at least in my zone. Plus, WIN, many are deeply discounted at the end of the season. I've planted hollyhocks, foxglove and weigelia this last week. :)

Most likely the zillion Mums you see at garden centers this time of year are 'hardy' (which really means they will live through some frost but not a really hard freeze). One variety now labeled 'Mammoth Mums' can really be perennial and from what I've read stand temps down to -30 f . There are only a limited number of colors available but they can survive (and in really good soil could get quite large in spread). They do not need dead heading or pinching and look good doing their own thing. The purple/violet one we have as well as the yellow one bloom July well into September and the red one just starts to bloom about now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Autumn will soon arrive What kind of flowers do you plant in autumn.Rose is all season flower. I plant rose as well as marigold in autumn. What kind of flowers flower in autumn? In autumn I will have marigold, rose. and hibiscus.
@Beth_B , I am answering this first question. What kind of flowers do you plant in autumn.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I think spring onions are a great option. Spring onions and leeks are tall and slender, fitting neatly into small gaps between other crops. Harvest the leeks small and young for a sweet, tender crop (note: full sized leeks take 180 days or more to mature). An added benefit of growing a few onion related crops is that their smell deters and confuse some potential pests.

Ask a Question