August in East Texas

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Hot and humid...but many varieties love those conditions. It is also a time of soil preparation for next spring's garden and for this fall/winter garden. I split it into thirds...1/3 producing, 1/3 preparing for fall/winter, and 1/3 preparing for next spring.

• 1/3 of the garden is daily producing more tomatoes, okra, peppers, cucumbers, than we can possibly use.
august2021a.JPG

• 1/3 is flourishing in an alfalfa cover crop rebuilding soil where this years potato, onion, and beans grew. This will remain in alfalfa until next spring when it will become the seed bed for the spring garden.
alfalfaaugust.JPG

• 1/3 is planted in soil building soybeans following corn and other veggie production and will be tilled under this fall for the fall/winter vegetables

soybeandaugust.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a large and handsome garden... and an exemplary illustration of crop rotation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hot and humid...but many varieties love those conditions. It is also a time of soil preparation for next spring's garden and for this fall/winter garden. I split it into thirds...1/3 producing, 1/3 preparing for fall/winter, and 1/3 preparing for next spring.

• 1/3 of the garden is daily producing more tomatoes, okra, peppers, cucumbers, than we can possibly use.
View attachment 84040

• 1/3 is flourishing in an alfalfa cover crop rebuilding soil where this years potato, onion, and beans grew. This will remain in alfalfa until next spring when it will become the seed bed for the spring garden.
View attachment 84041
  • 1/3 is planted in soil building soybeans following corn and other veggie production and will be tilled under this fall for the fall/winter vegetables

View attachment 84042
You are livin' the dream as far as I'm concerned. You've got an amazing, enviously large garden going. Texas is too hot for my blood, but that looks like lovely country.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks wkevinc for the comments. It is a hot climate, no doubt, but other than Alaska, there's no place I'd rather live.

Thankfully we are past the very hot days now and until next June or so gardening is very nice.

Ask a Question