August garden harvest this week (cucumbers, butternut squash, pumpkin harvest)

Reaction score
It seems like every year there is a different vegetable that does so well, we couldn't possibly eat everything, and then the next year, that same vegetable may do horribly. For example, two years ago was my best year for Tomatoes because it was a dry year. This year the climate has been a wet summer, so the tomatoes have not flourished like they usually do.
But, this garden year we have harvested so many cucumbers in the last month, it is making up for the lack of tomatoes. Other fruits that are growing well thanks to the wet climate, are squashes and melons. Last week I showed you photos of the cantaloupes we harvested, which were delicious by the way. You can see the post here. I think the cantaloupes produced fast because of the Hugelkultur mounds but also because of the ample rainfall.

Today I wanted to show the garden harvests in the last week. We harvested over 20 cucumbers in one day, which you can see in the pictures below. Then we harvested more corn, butternut squash, zucchini, and pumpkins.

August 5th garden harvest

big cucumbers attributed to hugelkultur

August 7th harvest, non-gmo Corn, butternut squash, beans, zucchini, yellow squash

August 10th harvest, butternut squash, pumpkins, & apples

August 7th cucumber harvest & pumpkin

Original post @ August garden harvest this week (cucumbers, butternut squash, pumpkin harvest)

-Cassie Kinney

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yum! Will you be pickling some of those cucumbers or will you get through them all while they're fresh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yum! Will you be pickling some of those cucumbers or will you get through them all while they're fresh?

I had the same thought. Although I have never pickled any cucumbers, I wondered how it is done? Of course, there are so many ways to enjoy a fresh cucumber! I admit, I love my salads and eat one almost everyday. Yet, when I think of fresh cucumbers grown from the garden, it always reminds me of a bridal or baby shower. We always serve those cute little cucumber sandwiches. Funny how certain fruits and vegetables bring to mind certain special occasions and memories.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh that's an awesome haul! I love cucumbers! Looks like a bunch are gonna make tasty pickles. :D

Reaction score
Awesome harvest!! I wish I had that much space to work with :( I'd surely grow a lot nice edibles and maybe indulge growing some ornamentals :p Your squashes and cucumbers looks really great, and that non GMO corn... must be nice to eat a corn that is non GMO. Last time I read most corn we get at the grocery store is GMO :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Fresh corn like that, I reckon, is actually edible raw. All your harvest would be so nice and tasty. We have a frien who works on an organic farm and sometimes we are lucky enough to receive such fresh goodies. There is no coma prison to the flavor and freshness. Enjoy after all your work!(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bountiful harvest for sure! I had the same idea as @Becky when I saw those fresh delicious cucumbers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Lots of vegetables you have there. When we have an abundance of cucumber, my mother would make some pickles. But she preferred the young cucumbers for pickling because, she said, it is easier for the pickling mix to penetrate. Hmm, I think I saw some corn in the photo. Freshly-harvested corn is so good to boil and I could finish 3 to 5 ears, hahahaaa.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
That looks great, I wish I had that much from my garden. You sure have variety for your family meals for a while(y). I don't like canned food either as I like it fresh as well.

Ask a Question