Aubergines

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Don't grow particularly well in my climate, (NW England), but they can be cultivated in a cold greenhouse reasonably successfully, especially if a vigorous hybrid variety is chosen.
This is F1 Moneymaker No.2 in my garden greenhouse, and I'll try to get some photos from my allotment greenhouse soon:
011_2.jpg

010_3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Your plants look very healthy. When my husband went to London for a brief work assignment, he was trying to amuse me. He said that he would cook aubergine for me. And that vegetable dish is a craze in London. I was really surprised that he was only joking because aubergine is actually eggplant here. Although I understand that eggplants are long and aubergines are round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought aubergine was just the European word for what we here call eggplants, regardless of type?
Anyway I'm not growing any this year, but last year I grew some variety of miniature eggplant and it was some of my earliest veggies to ripen.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The name threw me off. Eggplants are not my favorite to harvest so I have never grown them. If I did I would give them all away as I do not eat eggsplants, I am sure it is just because I have not found a good way to cook them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Solanum melongena.

Eggplant is the US name for Aubergine (French/English).
Melanzena is Italian, Melitzano Greek.

I tend to use it in one of four ways, melitzanosalata (Greek dip with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil), papoutsakia (little shoes), sliced rubbed with garlic and barbequeued, or the old favourite, ratatouille.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your plant looked healthy and that aubergine is amazing. I love eggplants but don't often make it myself since no one in my family like it! There are a few variety of eggplants in our supermarket, but my favorite is the fat oval shape ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We cook eggplants in 2 ways - frying in butter or boiled. When fried in butter, it can serve as a good garnishing for fried meat or fish. When boiled, it is also a good match for fried fish. However, there should be a dip for flavoring, i.e. vinegar with shrimp paste. Boiled eggplant has a bland taste although the oldsters day that it has lots of vitamins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
love them grilled. And I will grill many thick slices, sliced long or round, drizzled with good olive oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Eaten hot off the grill with a good steak or chicken. when cold, love them in a sandwich with fresh garden tomatoes, and a light cheese, pesto spread on the bread too.

Made eggplant parm once did not like how the house filled with the oil smell, if I do that again, will bread them outside. But usually order eggplant parm in a good Italian restaurant. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Esther - when I make eggplant parm, I bake the breaded eggplant slices to eliminate the oiliness. To prevent dryness, squirt a little olive oil on them before you bake them (375 for about 15 minutes in my convention oven). Then just layer with tomato sauce, mushroom onions etc and bake as usual per your recipe.

Reaction score
Solanum melongena.

Eggplant is the US name for Aubergine (French/English).
Melanzena is Italian, Melitzano Greek.

Although pronounced differently its Aubergine in German and Dutch too.

As eggplant is very popular in Mediterranean countries - these may also help

Brungiel in Maltese
and
Berenjena or " la planta de huevos " in Spanish

Oh and although it may just have been a " typo " - the Italian for eggplant is with an 'a' not an 'e' - melanzana - meaning " noxious fruit " - but be warned " melanzana " is also often used as a derogatory term rather being just the name for an eggplant :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Esther - when I make eggplant parm, I bake the breaded eggplant slices to eliminate the oiliness. To prevent dryness, squirt a little olive oil on them before you bake them (375 for about 15 minutes in my convention oven). Then just layer with tomato sauce, mushroom onions etc and bake as usual per your recipe.
just had a thought, what I could do is fry them up on my iron skillet on top of the grill outside and proceed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Although pronounced differently its Aubergine in German and Dutch too.

As eggplant is very popular in Mediterranean countries - these may also help

Brungiel in Maltese
and
Berenjena or " la planta de huevos " in Spanish

Oh and although it may just have been a " typo " - the Italian for eggplant is with an 'a' not an 'e' - melanzana - meaning " noxious fruit " - but be warned " melanzana " is also often used as a derogatory term rather being just the name for an eggplant :)
Compare with BRINJAL, which comes from S Asia, SE Asia and S. Africa.

Ask a Question