Aubergines

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,anybody growing them this year? ive germinated money maker F1,ive never attempted aubergines before and there isnt many videos on growing them in the U.K that i can see..are they easyish?? Thank you x

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bit touch or go in the UK, grown them outdoors before but would have done much better under glass or a tunnel.

Treat them like a greenhouse tomato and you should get a result :)

Last ones I grew were the ones that actually look like eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @zigs,thought that maybe the way to go,im going to take my slabs up in greenhouse and plant direct this yr,worrying about pots drying out when at work all day is a stress..are they ok in there with toms?? no weird viruses that can be passed around is there? ...got some jwk gardeners delight and beef eaters to plant too :) x

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok with Toms, but they can get the blight too, being in the same (solanacea) family :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow aubergines every year.
When I got the extra 1/2 plot on my allotment, I paid the bloke who'd left for his greenhouse, which has quite low eaves and a gravel floor. This makes it unsuitable for vine toms really, but ideal for shorter solanaceae like peppers and aubergines.
There are two f1 Moneymaker strains; I have found Moneymaker No.2 f1 to be reliable and profuse.
I averaged approx. 12 fruits per plant last year, plus some small ones.
I have "Gro-beds" which I bought from Marshall's, 6 fit neatly into an 8x6 greenhouse, and I have found that aubergines seem to do better in them than the ground, so them or a big pot would be best.
I think they like plenty of water, but also to drain, so they don't get root rot.
I live in Cheshire, so, outside they'd be marginal, and, you being quite close, would probably be better growing them under cover.
I've never had problems with blight, but powdery mildew and botrytis can be problems, so ventilate as much as possible.
If I can help with any questions, fire away.
I sowed my seeds a few days ago.
That variety:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you @headfullofbees ,ive just ordered them seeds plus black beauty variety as well..cant help myself :LOL:x
Also ordered the grow beds,2 lots of 3 pack :giggle:

Last edited:

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grow them every year in my Polytunnel up here in the Lake District, for watering I soak them every other day. They want rich ground and you need support too, I grow them directly in the ground. Most years I get two crops from them, first in late May/early June second in September. I feed using comfrey tea**, a VERY WEAK solution every time I water.No one wants to eat once a week then just drink for the next six days. Besides if you feed once a week then water the next 6 days, your washing the feed away, so I try to give all my plants feed every time I water, even though that feed ammount will be tiny.

Steve...:)

**Comfrey tea is home grown and made by myself, I always have a "brew" on. Next best thing to comfrey tea is normal Tomato food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I mix seaweed and comfrey and make tea from that. It's good stuff.
If I need more nitrogen, I tend to add a little pelleted poultry manure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I grow them every year in my Polytunnel up here in the Lake District, for watering I soak them every other day. They want rich ground and you need support too, I grow them directly in the ground. Most years I get two crops from them, first in late May/early June second in September. I feed using comfrey tea**, a VERY WEAK solution every time I water.No one wants to eat once a week then just drink for the next six days. Besides if you feed once a week then water the next 6 days, your washing the feed away, so I try to give all my plants feed every time I water, even though that feed ammount will be tiny.

**Comfrey tea is home grown and made by myself, I always have a "brew" on. Next best thing to comfrey tea is normal Tomato food.
Same here i always have brews going @Steve Randles :giggle: which variety do you grow ?

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Comfrey variety is Bocking 14, the sterile non seeding variety, else it grows everywhere and becomes a problem. As it has on some plots on our allotment sites. The Aubergines are either Black Beauty or Moneymaker. I get bigger fruits from moneymaker which are great for making and freezing Moussaka.

Ask a Question