At the young age of 66, I can NOT.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......remember August in May. August in LATE June ?.......maybe, in July....absolutely. But in May......NEVER. EVERYTHING that is in full sun is burning to a crisp.......don't make any difference if you water on a regular, check that......on MORE than a regular schedule. It's like the water does it NO good......I'm at loss of understanding.......why is the sun WAY more intense than it used be? It's like there's a GIANT, invisible ant holding a magnifying glass on us saying, "Let's see how you like it".......Maybe it's just that way here.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
.......remember August in May. August in LATE June ?.......maybe, in July....absolutely. But in May......NEVER. EVERYTHING that is in full sun is burning to a crisp.......don't make any difference if you water on a regular, check that......on MORE than a regular schedule. It's like the water does it NO good......I'm at loss of understanding.......why is the sun WAY more intense than it used be? It's like there's a GIANT, invisible ant holding a magnifying glass on us saying, "Let's see how you like it".......Maybe it's just that way here.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m in Kentucky and it’s definitely that way here. We are already having consistent 90 degrees and up days. It’s hard to keep things looking beautiful and healthy that way. Plus some things I have need to be watered in the morning like my pansies, but they are so dried out by night I have to give them a drink. Very frustrating. I feel your pain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I judged drought 2 weeks ago. I started 3 hour deepnwater cycles on sprinklers and so forth. I wish I had irrigations, but just have a bunch of hose and sprinklers, which I will use until they call drought and make us stop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have had them before. Last year I only watered twice. Last 3 years the wet was bad enough I had to get a phd in fungus control. This year? Nothing. I do not have the first inkling of fungi in the garden it has been so dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, you're getting a little taste of South Texas weather. We are having your temperatures here this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In N. Mississippi, we've had consistent rain until late May. I'm seeing a typical weather pattern. When Memorial Day arrives, so does the heat. Humidity will increase next. We usually have a few weeks without rain in June with temps in the low to mid 90s. Nothing new.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In N. Mississippi, we've had consistent rain until late May. I'm seeing a typical weather pattern. When Memorial Day arrives, so does the heat. Humidity will increase next. We usually have a few weeks without rain in June with temps in the low to mid 90s. Nothing new.
It helps you plan i imagine!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you experiencing some variablity from climate change?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm 62. Have lived in same area all but 5 years. I'm seeing nothing that I haven't seen before. I remember a very hot high school graduation in mid-May 1975.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got my own personal cloud called Blackie with his sister Gale. We've had rain again over the last four days with more forecast for tomorrow;

We actually enjoyed a summer last year the first for many years; usually we have wet summers; when I built the garden hut about two years ago in August our summer; it poured with rain and when not raining I suffered hail stones; working amongst slimy slugs and snails wasn't a pleasure; I've never worked with wood as wet; it was difficult to cut and machine also as I drove the screws home water oozed out but I was determined to build the hut.

I'm tormented by Blackie; everytime I try to work outside at some point I'm in for a soaking; Bron generously bought me a new rotavator for Christmas a couple of years ago and it was months before I could use it due to sodden ground. Painting the exterior of our bungalow is a nightmare due to our dire climate but in fairness we aren't worried about things like snakes or mosquitos. As I walked down from the top of our garden this morning I felt frozen due to the prevailing breeze Gale blows up the valley. Weather forecasts are a joke because they are seldom correct the weather is so unpredictable living here but it's where I was born and brought up and I'll never leave Yorkshire because in spite of the dire weather I love living here.

Just an example picture of a summers day in 2011 shown below.

Kind regards, Colin.

1559158191912.png

A warm night for a change?

Mid Summer 2011_001.JPG

We catch extremes of weather here on the valley side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's rained on and off since we walked off the 18th green around half past one. It will likely rain until about 3.00am. Then dry for the whole of tomorrow.

It's been a funny day. It was too warm to wear a sweater on the course this morning when the sun was shining, but you quickly put it back on when the sun went in. But it's likely to be around 20c tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The thread seems to have to started leaning just a few degrees to the left..........the "emphasis" was not intended to be on the temps (which for this time of year, I would venture to say that they, pretty much, ARE normal)......but on the intensity of the sun's rays.......Visualize......."It's like there's a GIANT, invisible ant holding a magnifying glass on us....."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A point worth considering, is if you're out in the sun for a long time, I can be in it for hours at a time, either playing golf or gardening (with some rounds the two activities can seem to merge into one when you're searching for someone's ball), is to always wear a hat with a peak or a brim to protect both your head and particularly your eyes. The sun can do a lot of damage.

Ask a Question