Aster leaves turn brown and dry at the tips

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hi guys, I recently bought this Aster plant and potted it in a container on the balcony. Made sure the soil type and Ph is relevant to its needs. After the blue flowers were gone its leaves started getting brown and drying out at the ends. It's been in the container for about a month. Plant gets an inch of water every week. What do you think is the reason for that?

Attachments

• Aster brown leaves.jpg
    Aster brown leaves.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Do you have a photo of this plant in flower? I would love to see what they looked like.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Do you have a photo of this plant in flower? I would love to see what they looked like.
This is the only photo of it in flower I have.

Attachments

• aster.jpg
    aster.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not quite sure about the brown spots on your aster. Are they getting worse? If it only happened once, the plant may have suffered incidental damage from dryness or sun scorch. If it is happening repeatedly despite good culture, then there may be a disease element.

This is an interesting plant. It might be Symphyotrichum novi-belgii 'Blue Bayou', part of the Showmakers Series by Royal Van Zanten. It really looks quite different from traditional New York Asters, despite the name.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8, RHS rating H4-H5
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking along the same lines as Marck regarding damage. Can you not plant it in the ground? I grow x frikartii 'Monch' and 'Professor Anton Kippenberg' and both seemed to struggle in containers, but they are thriving in the ground. Whenever I've tried asters, they have always seemed rather leggy and insubstantial compared to specimens planted in the ground.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
I am not quite sure about the brown spots on your aster. Are they getting worse? If it only happened once, the plant may have suffered incidental damage from dryness or sun scorch. If it is happening repeatedly despite good culture, then there may be a disease element.

This is an interesting plant. It might be Symphyotrichum novi-belgii 'Blue Bayou', part of the Showmakers Series by Royal Van Zanten. It really looks quite different from traditional New York Asters, despite the name.
I don't think it's getting worse. Not much browning since last time if any at all. I hope it's been a single time event as you suggest.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Thinking along the same lines as Marck regarding damage. Can you not plant it in the ground? I grow x frikartii 'Monch' and 'Professor Anton Kippenberg' and both seemed to struggle in containers, but they are thriving in the ground. Whenever I've tried asters, they have always seemed rather leggy and insubstantial compared to specimens planted in the ground.
No option for in the ground unfortunately...

Ask a Question