Ash "dieback" fungus

Jed

Reaction score
I recently heard a news report of a fungal disease affecting native Ash trees in the UK. It has now established itself in two locations in East Anglia in natural ancient woodlands. It was also stated nothing was going to be done about it with the hope the Ash will eventually get a natural resistance to fight it off.

Here's a video to show what to look out for.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/96...tch-Elm-disease-officials-warned-in-2009.html

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its already been confirmed in Somerset Jed:(

Loads of Ash trees here, most of our hedgerows are Ash. There is a 40 foot high one next to my house, was looking at it the other day trying to work out if it would hit the house if it fell. Think the top might clip it.

The Rooks won't be too happy, they nest there every year.

I remember how the countryside changed when Dutch Elm disease hit, whole avenues of trees disapeared. The Elms are nearly all clones though, so not much natural immunity. With the Ash we're hoping that some of the seedlings will be resistant.

Even so though, I won't get to see a mature Ash again in my lifetime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so awful, I feel so sorry for these trees, I love trees so much and I find Ash trees beautiful. I wish there was a cure to help them...:(

In Poland there is a disease which attacks chestnut trees:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, we got two forms of Chestnut disease over here already too
4296.gif

Jed

Reaction score
With both Ash and Elms getting a flogging in the UK it must be a big concern to lose so many native trees.:(
Australia is not immune from fungal dieback disease specific to eucalyptus. Eucalyptus forests from East to West Australia have seen it spread over the last 30 years.
The Dutch Elm disease that you mentioned zigs has not yet reached Australia. There're 70,000 mature Elms in the State of Victoria alone and the public have been advise to keep an eye out. New Zealand has had that particular disease since 1989 and have been so far successful at containing it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The Elms bought it when I was about 10 years old, I had a plan to grow one in my bedroom till the beetles had gone, not knowing the seeds were infertile.

Good job really, don't think the folks would have been happy with a 40 foot tree growing thru the roof:D

The Elms come back as suckers but die at about 10 foot, you can see the disease on the bark.

Ask a Question