Asclepias tuberosa

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted 2 orange milkweed plants last year that seemed to do well, but I am starting to think they are not coming back this year. Is it still early or should they have already come up? Anybody have pictures of it sprouting so I know what to look for? I am in Delaware. Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I planted 2 orange milkweed plants last year that seemed to do well, but I am starting to think they are not coming back this year. Is it still early or should they have already come up? Anybody have pictures of it sprouting so I know what to look for? I am in Delaware. Thanks!

Ah, my favorite plant!

Orange Milkweed is known for appearing much later than most plants. Last year, I had some that didn't appear until late May. Even now, I only have one that's visible, sticking up about a half inch.

Here's what it looks like as it starts growing:
IMG_6967 copy.jpg

IMG_7070 copy.jpg

IMG_1869 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, my favorite plant!

Orange Milkweed is known for appearing much later than most plants. Last year, I had some that didn't appear until late May. Even now, I only have one that's visible, sticking up about a half inch.

Here's what it looks like as it starts growing:
View attachment 12369
View attachment 12370
View attachment 12371
Thanks so much for the picture! I definitely don't have anything that looks like that so far. I will give it some more time before planting anything else there.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the picture! I definitely don't have anything that looks like that so far. I will give it some more time before planting anything else there.

It should emerge soon. They're very hardy and very reliable as long as they're in a suitable location. They prefer full sun and dry is best, but they can handle average conditions just fine. The Monarchs love them, and I've even seen a Hummingbird at one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Last Summer, I grew an Orange Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) in a container on my patio. It bloomed for months in the summer and Fall. Hopefully it will emerge again sometime this Spring. If so, I may plant it in the ground. Evidentially there are different soil-ecotypes, as the plant I grew, came specifically labelled as a clay-tolerant form. This may or may not be the same as A. tuberosa var. interior.
Clay-tolerant or not, I will be sure to amend and mound its planting site.

Orange Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), in the Dogbane Family (Apocynaceae), native to eastern and central North America, from southern Canada to northern Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProNailComplex

Latest Threads