Artificial ground cover for a mold prone area

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got about a 6' x 12' area that gets no sun at all and nothing has ever grown there other than things that have creeped in like vines or whatever, so it's basically just dirt. I'd like to do something quick and easy like lay down some weed mat and mulch, but the tree that's rooted in the area develops a mold problem if the ground surface isn't kept clear of leaves (meaning wet conditions) so I'm concerned that anything I put down will do the same.

Any ideas what I can do with this ground to make it look more civilized? I'm open to almost anything. Thanks.

PS. This is not the same ground area as mentioned in a previous thread of mine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my first thought was for some shade loving plants, but the 'Tree rooted in the area' doesn't sound good for that, unless maybe they were in containers?
Moss can make a good 'lawn'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've got about a 6' x 12' area that gets no sun at all and nothing has ever grown there other than things that have creeped in like vines or whatever, so it's basically just dirt. I'd like to do something quick and easy like lay down some weed mat and mulch, but the tree that's rooted in the area develops a mold problem if the ground surface isn't kept clear of leaves (meaning wet conditions) so I'm concerned that anything I put down will do the same.

Any ideas what I can do with this ground to make it look more civilized? I'm open to almost anything. Thanks.

PS. This is not the same ground area as mentioned in a previous thread of mine.
Moss Garden without a doubt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the options.

How long would it take moss to cover the ground? I'm looking for something that would work in the winter too so I'm guessing that would rule out the Clover.

I'm probably gonna go with a thin layer of mulch for now as I need to make it look good fairly quickly but I'll study up on the moss and see if that might work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A layer of mulch is a good option for now, it will stop the ground getting compacted in the meantime and feed it a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the options.

How long would it take moss to cover the ground? I'm looking for something that would work in the winter too so I'm guessing that would rule out the Clover.

I'm probably gonna go with a thin layer of mulch for now as I need to make it look good fairly quickly but I'll study up on the moss and see if that might work.
Let me introduce you to the idea of the "Moss Milkshake". With that method, not long at all.

Ask a Question