Artichokes

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
My shrub is just not growing at all! I have waited a year for the artichokes and they have spread with leaves but no artichokes in sight. Does anyone have any idea on what to do, is it useless now and should I start again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Artichokes do produce an extreme amount of leaves before producing the fruit.

Two weeks before I took this photo there was nothing but leaf in view.

P1240049.JPG

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Oh thank you for this! How long did you have the bush until it started sprouting? I have had mine for a year now and nothing happening at all.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Okay thank you! I will keep it there for now and see if anything happens this season. If not then will start all over again.

Reaction score
Oh thank you for this! How long did you have the bush until it started sprouting? I have had mine for a year now and nothing happening at all.

Although more often than not dependent on climate as well as the variety - Artichokes rarely produce in their first year - however as some varieties do produce twice a year - as mine do - once in the spring and then again in the fall - you never know you may be lucky and get to see some in the fall - either way I wouldn't discard them and start again - especially as - if you leave them as they are - they will reward you with a bountiful crop next year :)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thank you for this and for the video! I will keep them in the garden and see if they grow for next year because it is an expensive vegetable to buy and would love to eat ones out of my own garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are gorgeous artichokes! I love marinated artichokes and have no place in my garden to grow anything. Plus, the summer here in Michigan is too short to do anything like these. I have however, seen a field of artichokes in California and was just amazed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks.

No. The vegetable plot is dug each year but the perennials that are in it we just dig and weed around them. We have a lot of flowers in the plot to attract the pollinators.

Stachys lanata
P1240057.JPG

P1240058.JPG

Verbascum chaixii
P1240252.JPG

P1240259.JPG

Lychnis
P1240384.JPG

Peonies
P1230723.JPG

That's just a small part of our garden. It takes a lot of work but is very rewarding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Bootsy this is the first time I have seen an artichoke plant. I used to see that in groceries and supermarket but it is alien to us so we do not buy. I wish someone would post here about the details of artichoke, how it is cooked, how it is eaten and how does it taste. Thank you to those who would reply. Artichoke is one unique vegetable that is rarely seen here.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I love artichokes they are my absolute favourite and enjoy making them and I also sell them. The idea of using it as a floral arrangement is unusual and almost like Proteas in South Africa but I prefer to eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I buy canned artichoke quarters now because cleaning them is just way too much work. Maybe if I could grow the very large ones it would be worth the chore, but my new job is 9-5 and there just aren't enough hours in the day to take care of everything before and after work and still be able to manage my edible plants.

Ask a Question