Are these good seeds (Maple)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My adolescent maple trees are dropping all sorts of seed helicopters. But they all look completely flat, theres no round ball where the.... cabin would be :D

Are these viable seeds?
Or are they seeds that dropped too soon? If so, how will I know when the seeds that fell are viable?
Or are they seeds that never got pollinated? That seems unlikely since everything the tree is dropping looks the same. And I'm in N.E. where there are maple trees literally on every single corner.

Here's a video link:

And here's a closeup photo:
helicopter.jpg

The reason why I want to know is:
We had a biiiiig intense brushfire in a local park a few weeks ago. A spot where I mountain bike every tuesday. It wasn't just the brush that burned, most of the trees are gone too. It was in the middle of an extremely dry stretch.

So my plan is to start collecting these helicopters (if they are viable), and then in the fall start collecting buckets of oak tree acorns. And every week spread them around the woods.
As it stands now, we're looking at what used to be a forest, being essentially a field for years. Which is not ideal that's for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mostly, when this kind of thing happens (as I saw first hand whilst living in Australia) the vegetation, including trees regenerates itself. In fact, fire very often instigates new growth.
It is difficult to know if those seeds are in fact viable, but even so it would be a good exercise to collect and distribute them anyway...... as long as they are put in the right place. Maple seedlings around here are looked on as unwanted weeds :) At a guess, I would say these seeds would not be viable though.
Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let me clarify something that I realize is misleading.

All the seeds in the photo, all the seeds I'm planning on collecting and spreading, are in my own yard! Nowhere near the fire! These are regular healthy trees dropping these. The burned out woods are just where the seeds are going to end up, not where they come from.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did realise this, but it seems that this tree is dropping seeds rather early, and they appear not to be well developed. There's a good chance I could be wrong - we'll see if anyone else can comment.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I see what you were saying. Yes brush fires can encourage new growth, but this fire was really intense. Theres entire areas where everything burned. It's like mountain biking on the moon. News helicopters got footage of some seriously raging flames that looked like a shot out of California. It will all grow back eventually (if they catch the arsonist) but giving it a boost would be nice.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Because those ones you are showing are green I think the tree is aborting them before they fully developed and turn brown. I highly doubt they would sprout. Unless it's a different kind of maple then I am use to seeing. But my guess is the tree is dropping them before they are ready.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I see what you were saying. Yes brush fires can encourage new growth, but this fire was really intense. Theres entire areas where everything burned. It's like mountain biking on the moon. News helicopters got footage of some seriously raging flames that looked like a shot out of California. It will all grow back eventually (if they catch the arsonist) but giving it a boost would be nice.
Have you ever experienced an Australian bushfire. The gum trees are big and full of oil which explodes as the fire travels. The screams of the trapped animals curdle your blood, and the heat is extreme.
1685638562120.png
The fact that you are prepared to lend a hand with the rejuvenation of your local area is highly commendable, and it is a shame more people don't think the same way as you. Well done. I would love to know about your results :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked at your picture close up it doesn't look like the seeds have developed and I agree with the others, the seed pods have dropped too early.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to have the seed to be dry and rattle inside the pod before I harvest them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems like all maples around are dropping these flat green seeds this time of year. Are they all early droppers? Do maples usually only drop good seeds in the fall?

Do maples seed multiple times per season? I've never paid too much attention but I feel like my trees usually drop green seeds in the spring then they stop falling. Then they drop brown ones in the falls. Is this just shaking out all the dudes in the spring, while the good ones hang on until fall?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Seems like all maples around are dropping these flat green seeds this time of year. Are they all early droppers? Do maples usually only drop good seeds in the fall?

Do maples seed multiple times per season? I've never paid too much attention but I feel like my trees usually drop green seeds in the spring then they stop falling. Then they drop brown ones in the falls. Is this just shaking out all the dudes in the spring, while the good ones hang on until fall?
I guess it depends on the kind of maple tree but mine drops them brown in both late spring and fall. My lawn and garden is full of them right now.

Ask a Question