Are these containers too small for tomatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I got these green containers for free. Are they big enough for tomatoes? It's about 11-12 inches in diameter.

B2CCE3BA-BEE7-449B-88CD-F5F72FCFEC02_zpsufgrx3uc.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would say they are a bit small, my tomatoes like to grow huge and busy, I can't imagine them in anything smaller than what you have on the left there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got these green containers for free. Are they big enough for tomatoes? It's about 11-12 inches in diameter.

B2CCE3BA-BEE7-449B-88CD-F5F72FCFEC02_zpsufgrx3uc.jpg
You could grow smaller varieties like Tiny Tim or Patios but for regular tomatoes, too small. Actually a 5 gallon bucket is minimal for indeterminate types and determinates should be ok in a 5 gallon container. Watering becomes a problem in your climate.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
CrazyConure, you should be able to ask at a bakery, and get 5 gallon buckets for free. The flour and frosting come in them, so you'd just have to rinse them out. (y)

I've gotten a ton of them! Next year, I'm going to cut a hole in the bottom of a couple, and try hanging them. Like the "Topsy-Turvy" tomato planter!

Keeps them out of the landfill, and did I mention... FREE !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok guys. Since this thread, I bought more containers. I didn't buy that huge one on the left because it was way too expensive for the amount of pots I was buying. It was the next size down. It says on it that it is 16". I have no clue if that's too small. I'm going to post pictures of comparisons today, so please be on the lookout on this thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
CC, it is not the width of the container, it is all about the depth. Tomatoes put out an amazing root system, and need to go down, down, down. The advice about 5 gallon pots with holes in the bottom is very good--one 5 gal. pot, one tomato, and you have a container tomato!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok. It says it's 16x16. These pots are for INTERDETERMINED tomatoes. Obviously too small.

Containers are SOOO expensive. The only reason I actually bought the smaller ones were because the large ones are poop expensive.

Does anyone know where to get cheap to free containers for tomatoes?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
CrazyConure, you should be able to ask at a bakery, and get 5 gallon buckets for free. The flour and frosting come in them, so you'd just have to rinse them out. (y)

I've gotten a ton of them! Next year, I'm going to cut a hole in the bottom of a couple, and try hanging them. Like the "Topsy-Turvy" tomato planter!

Keeps them out of the landfill, and did I mention... FREE !!

See post # 4 :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually a 5 gallon bucket is minimal for indeterminate types and determinates should be ok in a 5 gallon container.

The advice about 5 gallon pots with holes in the bottom is very good--one 5 gal. pot, one tomato, and you have a container tomato!

Why do you need a 10 gallon pot? :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Oh. I remember reading that I needed 10 gallons for tomatoes. Well, in that case, how can out if the containers I have now are 5 gallon?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry. I meant to say "how can I find out if...

I typed too fast and autocorrect messed my text up.
Volumn = 3.14 x radius squared x height. In your case the height is 1/2 the total height of the pot. This will give you the total cubic inches of volumn. Divide the total cu. inches by 144. This will give you the number of cu. ft. in the pot. A cubic ft. is about 7.5 gallons. This formula will give you a good knowledge of gallons in the pot.

Ask a Question