Are there some interesting houseplants will do well when I am away?

Reaction score
Cacti are not really an option as the humidity in my building is too high for them to flourish. I get heat and sun in the summer and it is almost unbearable to re-enter my place after being away. I have a tendency to be away tending to my outdoor garden for 10-14 days at a time and my house plants survive but they can really take a beating. As I am away a good portion of the summer but stuck at home in the winter, it would be nice to find something other than my zygo cactus that flowers and does well.

Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions?

Reaction score
Air plants is all I can suggest. I had some of the prettiest air plants a couple of years ago. They just thrive on air.

Reaction score
Well, so far I've had a great experience with succulents. They seem to be so resistant and seem to thrive even more when I don't pay any kind of attention to them at all. Actually it seems the less you care about them the more they grow. Something like that happened with a tiny aloe vera that didn't seem to want to grow. I watered it only when I remembered it and stopped paying attention to it and bam! Now is bigger than ever and is full of new aloe plants that are big enough to transplant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you thought about buying water gel? You could replace soil with it. I know that it doesn't look very pretty, but no one will notice it, if you have non-transparent flower pots.
Plants planted in it don't need to be watered, so you could leave them at home without any worries:)

If you haven't seen it yet, here is what it looks like:

17294-crystal-mud-clay-soil-water-gel-keeping-plants-1.jpg

Reaction score
I've had my little aloe plant for almost a year now. They're easy to take care of and they don't need much water. My grandfather has a big aloe plant, and last year he pulled up a small bit of it and put it in a flower pot with some soil. My plant sits on a small coffee table near a window to give it a little sun, and it can go a while without needing water in case you forget or are away. I was bad at watering it at first, but I was surprised at how well it's done despite my inadvertent attempts to kill it. :)

Reaction score
Fortunately for you there are plants that can easily adapt to your conditions. The following two plants have been tried and test in a place similiar to yours.

Sansevieria - This plant performance better the more you neglect it. You just need to water it once or twice a month. It tolerates high temperatures and it enjoys being pot bound. As for varieties you are spoiled for choice. There are plain green, variegated and compact ones.

Kalanchoe - Being a succulent plant is tolerates a degree of drought. Again, this is a plant that adapts well in higher temperatures. Last but not least, this plant produces lovely clusters of small flowers. It comes in many different colours and styles.

Ask a Question