Are there fireflies in your garden?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
When I was a kid, it’s a habit of mine to go out in the garden with my mom. Together we will look for fireflies (I adore fireflies), they will come out at night by groups and sometimes there are frogs too. As I grow old, I see fewer and fewer fireflies around the yard/garden. It makes me worry if they’re going extinct or something. I don’t want them to be extinct, they are such beautiful and amazing creations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
There are fireflies in Texas where I live, but I have also noticed there aren't as many as there used to be. I personally blame it on Monsanto and their poison.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love fireflies! There aren't any that I have noticed in my garden in the UK but in the one in Croatia they are plentiful. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a lot of them but not as many as when I was a kid. I live in a chemical free zone, way out in the country but they still seem to be disappearing.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some down the Chesil Beach.

Reaction score
I still see a lot of fireflies in my garden especially on dark nights; on occasions when i have time on my hands i usually help the kids to catch fireflies and placed them in a clear soda bottle and we'll just sit in the dark and admire the beautiful glow of the fireflies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We sit on the patio in the summertime, watching the fireflies in the back yard and out in the pasture, listening to the "peepers" (little frogs) down by the pond, and hearing the occasional sleeping chirp of a bird. We have fireflies, lots of them, and they give so much joy!

Reaction score
No fireflies where I life. It's the wrong part of the country. I have only seen them once actually. They are some of the coolest bugs, but sadly they are not native to my region, so I did not get to play with them like so many other children.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We see fireflies when we visit family in the midwest more than we do here in Texas. I remember catching fireflies as a kid, especially in the summer. It's one of those childhood memories that I have that my kids will never understand!

Ask a Question