Are seeds gathered from hybrid plants sterile?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Are most seeds gathered from hybrid variety fruit, sterile? I mean, they grow fine but never produce any fruit of their own. I'm new to growing from seeds, but this has been my experience with a few tomato varieties I've tried. Is this a general fact, or just depends on the plants?

THANKS!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Are most seeds gathered from hybrid variety fruit, sterile? I mean, they grow fine but never produce any fruit of their own. I'm new to growing from seeds, but this has been my experience with a few tomato varieties I've tried. Is this a general fact, or just depends on the plants?

THANKS!
they will grow but not like the mother plant so it might be that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What an interesting question @ZacWolf . At first I thought ''no, of course not ...?????'' but then thought if I don`t know, maybe we can find out :geek: so I found this link https://sciencing.com/plant-hybrids-sterile-5619428.html
As I have said so many times (amongst others) we never know it all when it comes to gardening.

This is the bit I picked out of the above link....................
Most organisms are diploid, which means they have two complete sets of chromosomes. When plants have extra sets of chromosomes, they are polyploid. Polyploidy is the result of accidents during cell division. Cells must divide in order to make gametes (egg and sperm cells) and when accidents occur, extra sets of chromosomes can create a polyploid state in the hybrid offspring.
Function
Hybrid plants are sterile when they have the incorrect number of chromosomes (which results from polyploidy). If a plant has uneven numbers of chromosome pairs, it can’t produced balanced gametes (egg or sperm cells) and will not be able to produce viable offspring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most hybrid tomatoes will produce but most of the time the fruit is nothing like what the seed came out of. Some times the budding and bloom process is also disrupted. It all depends on what the cross was as to whether a seed is viable or even if the plant can reproduce.

CAP

Reaction score
Country
United States
From my experiences growing 3 or 4 volunteer plants a season. Of the ones that weren't heirlooms, i've never seen an "F2" that was sterile and actually for me they often performed very well. However i have never started one of these on purpose from seed. I like to know exactly what i'm growing if i'm going through the effort of starting them. But with saying that i also enjoy waiting to see what the volunteers produce. Man gardening's fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I like to know exactly what i'm growing if i'm going through the effort of starting them.

Basically, I took a variety pack container of the mini-tomatoes that had gone overlong in my vegbin, and threw them in a container pot last year. They produced a lot of plants, but none of them produced any fruit, so I was just wondering if that was a common thing. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Ask a Question