alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can cut the long stem but let me show you where the dahlia tuber eyes are

The eyes are fairly low, so yes, you can surely cut the stem, but make sure you don't damage the eyes. Next time when you plant them in the ground, incorporate a bit of free-draining sand or even perlite so that the tubers won't sit in water. As long as the tubers don't sit in water which will rot them, they will be fine. Then you just pour 1 foot of compost on top to insulate the whole thing.

This video will show you how to protect your dahlia in the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wish I didn't have to dig, wash, dry, label & store my Dahlias every growing season. IT'S ALOT OF STRENUOUS WORK AND TAKES DAYS OF TIME HERE IN NE OHIO, NE/MIDWEST USA. You're very fortunate to live in such a conducive, non-freezing climate

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wish I didn't have to dig, wash, dry, label & store my Dahlias every growing season. IT'S ALOT OF STRENUOUS WORK AND TAKES DAYS OF TIME HERE IN NE OHIO, NE/MIDWEST USA. You're very fortunate to live in such a conducive, non-freezing climate
You could just pot them up and leave them in a frost free area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info everyone, I cant bring them indoors anywhere because there's no space and they've already been out in the elements for a month (been a little bit of frost so far) should I bother to dig them up to keep them safe in a bag indoors until its warmer or would any damage have already been done by now so it would make no difference anyway?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No chance whatsoever leaving my Dahlia Tubers in the ground over winter. Our ground freezes, it's clay based and I'd lose 90% of them at Springtime.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think your dahlias will live as the past month has been very mild. Don't be too scared. If there is frost, pile them high with compost. As long as the soil in the pot is free-draining, they will be OK. From now on, you can cuddle all your pots on concrete ground which will absorb heat during day time and release it at night, raising the temperature. Also, make sure the pots are at the warmest spot of your whole house or garden (next to wall, on concrete grounds, south/east or west facing - a spot with the longest sunshine!) If worried, put a fleece on top of the pots. Unless the tubers are rotting in wet soil, they should be fine. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I reside in zone 6a, NE Ohio/USA. Temps are still near freezing and we've have dusting's of snow the last few days. I decided to pull some of my overwintered Dahlia tubers out of storage and pot them up. They'll remain in the basement for a good month or so until I can move them to my unheated backyard greenhouse. It's always a surprise to see which one's survived their winter sleep and which varieties didn't make it. It's always a challenge and still feel I haven't gotten the winter storage system exactly right yet.

Ask a Question