Are ALL pothos toxic to cats/dogs?

dandy-lou

(they/them)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am trying to look into getting some cute indoor plants to brighten up my tiny apartment, and I'm really fond of how Pearl & Jade Pothos looks.

In my research, I see a lot of websites warning that Satin/Golden Pothos are toxic to cats and dogs. Does this apply to other kinds of Pothos, too? I would really like to get one, but I don't want to put my kitty in danger. I don't think hanging them out of reach would be too much trouble, but I'd rather have them on my desk (where my kitty often occupies,) if I can.

Thanks for any advice. :)

dandy-lou

(they/them)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Almost certainly if eaten. However unless your cat is given to eating plants it shouldn't be a problem.
He's notorious for chewing on everything, so to be on the safe side I'll just have to put it on a high shelf.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Toss a few orange peels into the pot, or mist the leaves with a mixture of 2 teaspoons of vinegar to a full spray bottle of water.. kitty will avoid the plant like the plague and it won't hurt your plant. I have 4 cats and a house full of un-nibbled plants. :)

dandy-lou

(they/them)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Toss a few orange peels into the pot, or mist the leaves with a mixture of 2 teaspoons of vinegar to a full spray bottle of water.. kitty will avoid the plant like the plague and it won't hurt your plant. I have 4 cats and a house full of un-nibbled plants. :)

I've heard the citrus thing before, but not the vinegar...this is a great idea, thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard the citrus thing before, but not the vinegar...this is a great idea, thanks for the advice!
Cats hate the smell of vinegar, but be careful. No more than 2 teaspoons.. vinegar is an acid and too much will burn your plants leaves. But 2 teaspoons of vinegar from the baking section of your super market, diluted in a large spray bottle of water won't harm them. And it will stink enough to deter kitty. If you're worried, you can always spray just the pot with a stronger solution avoiding the plant, for the same effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I find it odd that pothos is listed as a toxic plant to cats. We had a nice large one at one time and one or both of our cats decided one day that it would be a nice snack. They ate it to the dirt with no ill effects and it was at least the size of one of the cats... They lived for years afterward, one to 18 and the other to 20.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I find it odd that pothos is listed as a toxic plant to cats. We had a nice large one at one time and one or both of our cats decided one day that it would be a nice snack. They ate it to the dirt with no ill effects and it was at least the size of one of the cats... They lived for years afterward, one to 18 and the other to 20.
From what I have read the animal would have to eat an extensive amount to kill them, but just a little can cause the symptoms I listed in my post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
From what I have read the animal would have to eat an extensive amount to kill them, but just a little can cause the symptoms I listed in my post.
I don't doubt that you read that somewhere, I'm just giving my personal experience with the matter and showing about how much my cats actually ate in a single day (probably night) to alleviate any undue worry about the welfare of their cat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of sources just say it depends on the cat and the health of the plant. Less healthy plants have higher toxin levels and some cats are less sensitive to some toxins than others. Much like dogs. My corgi has dug so many chocolate things out of the trash including some dark chocolate macadamia nut cookies, which probably should have killed him but didn’t even make him sick. So it really depends on the animal itself and it’s sensitivities.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My cat eats next to my pothos every day and shes been in the garden by herself for many hours at a time. That's her quiet room to get away and be by herself and sometimes its all day long. . I had my cat for 4 years and my pothos for 11 years. No problems yet!

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 1,519
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pothos and a lot of other houseplants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, These crystals are similar to glass shards and will irritate the mouth, throat and stomach of an animal who ingests it. Unless the animal consumes a large amount it will just be ill and uncomfortable most likely. I would say it is best to keep it away from the pet.

Ask a Question