Aquarium plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As you all know, Christmas is getting closer:p I already look for perfect Christmas gifts! My boyfriend has been dreaming about a shrimp aquarium for a few years now, so I plan to get him one. I'm sure that he will like it:D
The problem is, I don't know anything about aquarium plants. I hope that you can help me:)
I'm looking for interesting, pretty and easy to grow aquarium plants. All suggestions are more than welcome:)

Reaction score
Hey Clau :) !!! A shrimp aquarium sounds like a really interesting gift! I used to have an aquarium... I never tried growing aquatic plants (my fish would totally destroy them), but I know someone who does (a guppy aquarium). You can try growing some ''amazon sword'' plants :) Those are really beautiful:

aquarium-plants-echinodorus-amazonicus.jpg

Vallisneria Vallisneria spiralis:

Vallisneria-corkscrew.jpg

Anacharis Egeria densa (perfect for a shrimp aquarium):
5943.jpg

Reaction score
Ow, I'd also like to add that keeping an aquarium is almost like a full time job, just check more info on the gravel/sand you will be using for that aquarium. Your boyfriend has to be extra careful when he cleans the aquarium (specially if you guys decide to use sand instead of gravel). Best of luck :)

Reaction score
I always buy fake plants for the aquariums. I heard that they are hard to take care of by many resources.

I wish you luck with it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, thank you for your response:D I love the 'amazon sword' plants, they look so pretty! And the Anacharis reminds me of lace, I'm sure that my boyfriend will love it. As far as I know, shrimp feel the best in aquariums with gravel, so this will probably be our choice.
Even if keeping an aquarium is like a full time job, it's okay, because it's my boyfriend's dream, so he will be the one taking care of it, not me, haha:p:D
MindyT, fake plants seem like the most convenient solution, but my boyfriend always talks that would like to have real plants:)

Reaction score
Claudine - I think this is a lovely idea for a present.:)

I noticed that you mentioned you wanted something with real plants and gravel, but coral is real too, and wondered if something along the lines of these Reef Aquariums might appeal

aquariums reef 2.jpg

aquariums reef.jpg

especially as there is gravel on the bottom for the shrimps.:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The coral is beautiful. A fish tank is a lot of work but the water from the tank is good fertilizer for your house plants.

Reaction score
Trellum, thank you for your response:D I love the 'amazon sword' plants, they look so pretty! And the Anacharis reminds me of lace, I'm sure that my boyfriend will love it. As far as I know, shrimp feel the best in aquariums with gravel, so this will probably be our choice.
Even if keeping an aquarium is like a full time job, it's okay, because it's my boyfriend's dream, so he will be the one taking care of it, not me, haha:p:D
MindyT, fake plants seem like the most convenient solution, but my boyfriend always talks that would like to have real plants:)

Glad you liked my suggestions! I must admit your boyfriend is quite brave! Taking care of not only his shrimps, but also his new aquatic plants might prove to be tough :eek: But it will get easier after a while :) I just love the peace and tranquility the aquariums give me... looking at the fish swimming is so calming!

Reaction score
Claudine - I think this is a lovely idea for a present.:)

I noticed that you mentioned you wanted something with real plants and gravel, but coral is real too, and wondered if something along the lines of these Reef Aquariums might appeal

View attachment 1274

View attachment 1272

especially as there is gravel on the bottom for the shrimps.:)

Wow, Gata!! Those corals are divine, but... I wonder if it is hard to take care of them? I mean, they're odd being... they're more like an animal than a plant (they do act like plants in the sense they don't move at all, how odd!). I never thought you could get some for an aquarium! That aquarium will be super fancy :D

Reaction score
Yes, I do say fake plants are more convenient. However, real ones are more beautiful and more enjoyable. It always feels nice to work for something good and pleasant. It is more meaningful that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata montes, the corals look absolutely gorgeous, I think that it's a perfect idea!:D Thank you for inspiration. I can't stop looking at the pictures that you posted, I'm sure that my boyfriend would love to have an aquarium like this:love:
Pat, I had no idea that the water from a tank is a good fertilizer for your house plants, it's good to know, thank you for the tip:)
Trellum, my boyfriend had an aquarium when he was a child, so I hope that he knows what to expect:p. He has never had any shrimp in it though. I hope that shrimp don't need anything very special:p

Reaction score
Claudine - I'm so pleased you like it, I personally think it they look gorgeous and it seemed the perfect answer to your dilemma, as although the corals are living things, they don't need caring for in the same way as plants and therefore means, both you, your boyfriend and the shrimps can enjoy it - without worrying about the plants :D

Pat - I had no idea aquarium water was good for plants, but now on thinking about it - of course it would, and shall remember the tip, should I ever have an aquarium.:) Am sure, now that Claudine knows that aquarium water is a good fertilizer for plants, that she will be pinching the water from her boyfriends aquarium, to fertilize her miniature roses from time to time:D

Trellum - They are divine aren't they and they come in so many different colors that you are spoilt for choice :) and yes, even though the corals are alive, they are very easy to take care of.
Can't say I'd ever thought of corals being like animals though. moving or otherwise :LOL: as far as I know they don't move much at all :D which is a good thing, as otherwise, it could be a bit disconcerting for aquarium owners - to wake up in the morning and find that the contents of their aquariums have totally rearranged themselves overnight :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know that it's a silly question, but I've just started wondering about it. What do corals eat? If they're alive, they must eat something. Will I have to feed them? They won't eat my boyfriend's shrimp, right?:eek::p
The only thing I know about corals is that they're gorgeous:)

Reaction score
I know that it's a silly question, but I've just started wondering about it. What do corals eat? If they're alive, they must eat something. Will I have to feed them? They won't eat my boyfriend's shrimp, right?:eek::p
The only thing I know about corals is that they're gorgeous:)

I don't think its a silly question at all, especially as Corals are alive :D but no, the majority of corals don't have to be fed at all, as they get all the sustenance they need, from light and the nutrients in the water, the latter of which, are provided by both the food you feed the fish and the fish deposits :D and to be honest, think that wherever you were purchasing the aquarium from, those people, would be only too happy, to help you choose the right corals for your purpose:)

As for the Corals eating the shrimps or the other way round, apparently there are hundreds of different types of shrimps, so again, it comes down to choosing, those compatible with the environment in which they are going to live, which would be the same, whether you were choosing aquarium plants or corals :)

I too, have to admit to thinking these reef aquariums look stunning, and really think, that you would be fine going down this route, especially as you think they look gorgeous - there is however one little thing I would like to ask, if you do get one, please would you post a photo :) would love to see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Of course, if only my boyfriend let me, I'll take a picture and share it with you:D. But usually, he prefers not to take any pictures in his room because he is kind of a messy person, haha:p. But he also has great artistic skills, so I'm sure that he will make the shrimp aquarium look absolutely stunning.
Thank you so much for the information on corals. It's good to know that they don't have to be fed:)

Ask a Question