Aquarium Grow Light?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I'm in a bit of a predicament. Some time back, I purchased an aquarium light and long story short, didn't purchase the aquarium. I am instead devoting my resources to a crested gecko terrarium. That is beside the point. My question is, will this light work to grow live plants in the terrarium? It is a good light, made specifically for growing plants in the aquarium. A finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED, full spectrum, with controls to change how much red, blue, white, and green are produced. I currently have three pots of marbled pothos growing under it, two of which have been growing well. Recently, however, I've noticed that some leaves are beginning to develop yellow spots. Could this be because the light simply isn't providing the correct spectrum? Could it be too much light? Or is the problem as simple as overwatering (generally water once every week and a couple days)? Thanks for any help and opinions. It would be great if the light would work for terrestrial plants and not be a totally wasted investment. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The light fixture should be fine. The problem/mistake many make is the light fixture is set too high. Lower it some, and see how the plants look in a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I agree that the light should be fine. Yellow leaves is often a sign of overwatering - check the soil with your fingers before you water :)

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey! I'm in a bit of a predicament. Some time back, I purchased an aquarium light and long story short, didn't purchase the aquarium. I am instead devoting my resources to a crested gecko terrarium. That is beside the point. My question is, will this light work to grow live plants in the terrarium? It is a good light, made specifically for growing plants in the aquarium. A finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED, full spectrum, with controls to change how much red, blue, white, and green are produced. I currently have three pots of marbled pothos growing under it, two of which have been growing well. Recently, however, I've noticed that some leaves are beginning to develop yellow spots. Could this be because the light simply isn't providing the correct spectrum? Could it be too much light? Or is the problem as simple as overwatering (generally water once every week and a couple days)? Thanks for any help and opinions. It would be great if the light would work for terrestrial plants and not be a totally wasted investment. :p
Sounds like a watering issue or nutrient problem. Adjust watering and monitor, if the problem is fixed you are good. If not, adjust nutrient schedule and monitor. Pothos are usually pretty easy plants to grow so lighting is just an added bonus, but that same light is going to be very weak for most other plants

Ask a Question