Aquaponic

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello everyone! One time, when I was surfing the Internet, I found some information about Aquaponic system. I think that it is a good alternative to easily grow some herbs, but I am not sure how and if I can do it on my own. I would like to do it in a small aquarium with some fishes in it, but as I know not every fish can be put in it. I hope that someone can tell me how to prepare it and cope with it. Maybe some of you tried this method and can tell me a few tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
To be honest I'm not sure a small scale setup with just any particular fish works, in fact I doubt it can. I can't imagine it would. It's a fine balance of nitrites vs nitrates. Which some fish handle better then the next. Plants also need high levels of nitrates in order to really thrive, combined with good photosynthesis periods.. Where some fish just can't deal with high levels of nitrites. Then there's also the conversion of the two.. I'd suggest looking into the nitrogen cycle. I suspect Goldfish might be a cheap easy source fish that can handle this treatment but I'm no expert in this matter. Only a fish guy could really tell you, and they would most likely find this sorta treatment cruel.

Ask a Question