Apples dropping before ripe

Reaction score
Country
United States
My apples have started dropping from the tree but they aren't really ripe. Seeds are still white and the taste is quite sour but they are still edible imo. Color is green, but I'm not super sure about the variety. Last year they eventually became yellow but were kind of soft and meally at that point.

They dropped early last year too it seemed, but like a month later I think after they turned yellow a bit but the seeds were still white.

I've done a bit of research and found that there are quite a few reasons why a tree might do this, ie: pest damage, heat, drought, overloaded apple, and specify variety. This July was one of the hottest on records here near Seattle, my tree has tons of apples even though I thought I thinned well earlier and I see evidence of spider mites.

My question:
Should I go through and thin out the smaller ones to let the big ones ripen or should I pick the bigger ones (those are the ones that seem to be dropping) and find some recipes for under ripe apples?

Also, should I cut out branches that have webbings or will that stress the tree out more at this time of year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Why does your apple think it is in such danger that it has to drop premature babies? That is a really serious condition and you say it has happened before? Heat is a big issue for apples, and we have been changing usda zones slowly for sure.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
According to this video, there are 4 possible reasons

1. Lack of water: Water more during dry weahter
  2. Lack of nutrients: Add horse, or cow manure or even chicken pellets. But must be well-rotted or it will burn the roots
  3. Pest and diseases: Once a fruit is visited by a wasp or other pest, it's had it. Introduce good bugs and get rid of pest organically
  4. Natural selection: Too many fruits for the tree to cope with. Thinning of fruits is recommended to have a good and steady harvest.
This is also a good source of info!

Hope they help!

Ask a Question