Apple Trees

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious if anyone could offer some advice. I planted these apple trees when we built the house I have had to replant several of them due to wildlife. I am curious as to what I need to do since they get these spots every year than the leaves die and fall off. They get a few apples about the size of golf balls typically is about it. Any advice is appreciated
0A3F0568-CAA5-4779-B901-45B673679D02.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The spots on the leaves of your Apple (Malus domestica) look like those of Cedar Apple Rust (Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae) or another similar rust disease. These rust diseases do not usually threaten the overall health or productivity of a tree. Therefore, Integrated Pest Management practices recommend no fungicide usage.
By the way, this is a two-host rust with species of Juniper (Juniperus spp.) being the other host. This means your apple tree would be reinfected from spores formed on nearby junipers, not from the spores on its own leaves.

Ask a Question