Apple Tree

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello! Me and my wife want to plant an apple tree in our yard, but we are unaware of the size it will take and the cares that it will need. I mostly plant herbs and flowers , and this is my first time planting a tree. What suggestions do you have on taking care of this tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all make sure the variety of apple is consistent with the number of chilling hours (degrees below 5 C or 45F) in you locality. When planting don't bury the root flare and make sure there are no encircling roots. Other than that just keep it mulched and don't water it too often. When you water, water slowly and deeply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Selecting the apple cultivar you want is an important step. Do consider chilling hours, but also disease resistance (scab, rust, fireblight, powdery mildew, etc.), and qualities of the fruit, as some apples are preferred either for baking or eating fresh.
The cultivar of the rootstock is as important as the scion. Some rootstocks will dwarf or semi-dwarf the scion which may be an advantage to you as size is your first concern. Also some rootstocks are adapted for light, sandy soils and other s for heavier clay soils. Know your soil and choose accordingly.
There are a number of other options to consider such as espalier and multi-cultivar grafts that will allow you to grow several varieties from a single trunk.
Also ornamental edible plants are a growing trend; some apples today are bred for red flowers and fall color. These cultivars sometimes also have apples with red flesh.
When you are ready to plant choose a full sun location with good drainage. Plant on at least a slight mound and keep the graft union exposed. Mulch around the young tree. Water deeply but infrequently . With each passing year more deeply, but less frequently.

Ask a Question