Apple tree question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Right now I have an apricot and an orange tree. I'd like to get an apple because my daughter LOVES apples. I've seen a couple times people mentioning that you need male and female trees? Is this always true? My Nonna had an apple tree that produced a ton but she only had the one tree. I guess a neighbor could have had a tree too. Just curious before I pick a tree because I only have room for 2 more trees and I want a peach at some point. I'm going to have to can the apple tree plan if I need 2 trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Right now I have an apricot and an orange tree. I'd like to get an apple because my daughter LOVES apples. I've seen a couple times people mentioning that you need male and female trees? Is this always true? My Nonna had an apple tree that produced a ton but she only had the one tree. I guess a neighbor could have had a tree too. Just curious before I pick a tree because I only have room for 2 more trees and I want a peach at some point. I'm going to have to can the apple tree plan if I need 2 trees.
Some varieties are self pollinating but the main thing to consider with apples is the amount of chilling hours required. You MUST pick a variety that meets your climates hours of below 45F. I do not know what the Ph of your soil is but I know of 0 varieties that like alkaline soils. There may be some but I don't personally know of any.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Apple trees are not male and female, but, unless they are self-fertile, their pollen won't produce their fruit. Some are even "triploids".
Even self-fertile varieties do better with pollen from a suitable variety.
There are four groups of apples dependant upon when they flower, A,B,C & D.
Each will pollinate its own group and those next to it, so A will pollinate others from that group a any from group B; B will pollinate A,B & C and so on.
The best way to ensure good pollination, if you don't have room for more than one tree, is to buy a "family" tree, where three different compatible varieties are grafted onto the same rootstock.

Ask a Question