Apple tree - pruning and support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on what to do with this Apple tree. We moved onto the house recently and it’s well established but a bit out of control, getting close to the house and the base is surrounded by ground elder. Any advice on what you would do with it? Ideally we would like to keep it and have put a stake in for support

Attachments

• 5BE4ABA6-EE86-4539-A7A9-3BC0C9958C41.jpeg
    5BE4ABA6-EE86-4539-A7A9-3BC0C9958C41.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Country
United States
Apple trees are pretty hardy and withstand shaping as long as they are not diseased. I say prune it to your liking. Clip the top off and trim the stretchy limbs below. With this said you will receive new shoots from the base of the trunk. When this happens just snip those off to keep the nutrient still going to the main trunk. You will still need to insecticide and fertilize if this apple tree bears fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Bill. That’s really helpful. So do you think prune the top back to the top of the fence? Also if I put weed killer on the ground elder below, could this affect the tree roots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ouch weed killer will affect the roots to not do that..... cut them out as much as possible if you can...get down there below the ground line. Pruning the top like I said will not affect it, just send out new growth at the base of the trunk which you can cut off when they sprout. My mom and dad had several apple trees on there farm ground and the local neighbors came over with the children to pick the lush apples had apple pie all summer long...

Reaction score
Country
United States
LOL had to look up ground elder / if you use vinegar see if that will work on the ground elder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds lovely Bill and thanks again. Happy memories. My Nanna had one in her garden and it’s lovely to have apple pie from them. Yes tackling the ground elder bit by bit, taking the roots out and then covering it to try and stop it.
Don’t think we will get rid of it all!

Ask a Question