Apple rootstock is growing but scion isn’t

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a Rome Beauty apple grafted to MM102 rootstock. It was a healthy tree when I bought it but I put a plastic bag over it to create a greenhouse effect. All the leaves went brown and fell off. Now only the rootstock is growing leaves. I believe the scion is still alive because last time I pruned the top off, the stem was moist inside.

Is there any way to force the scion variety to grow leaves?

730D4480-0482-43BE-AF3E-8BC36EB03363.jpeg 87C99241-ED86-4E2E-A722-4FE6FEFD8E52.jpeg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Rome Beauty apple grafted to MM102 rootstock. It was a healthy tree when I bought it but I put a plastic bag over it to create a greenhouse effect. All the leaves went brown and fell off. Now only the rootstock is growing leaves. I believe the scion is still alive because last time I pruned the top off, the stem was moist inside.

Is there any way to force the scion variety to grow leaves?

View attachment 74413 View attachment 74414
Rub all the shoots off that's below the graft. Above the graft scrap some of the bark and see what's underneath, if it's green or a light colour it's still alive if it's brown it's dead. The top part might grow at a different time to the root stock.

Ask a Question