Apple, Persimmon, & Nut Foraging in Fall months

Reaction score
When you think of foraging in the woods, you usually think of collecting mushrooms and wild greens, but you can forage for fruit and nuts this time of year as well. These wild edibles are much easier to identify and container more calories and nutrients. I have written a post before detailing the common wild edibles to forage during the Fall months, such as chickweed and green onions (which you can read here).
I have many hickory trees dropping their nuts between September and into November around the yard, so I can pick hickory nuts to eat, but since I am competing with the squirrels, I do not bother picking them. Other nuts I forage during this time of year are Walnuts and Pecans. I find that Walnut trees have become prevalent on the sides of roads in Kentucky, so you'll most likely be able to harvest a bucket full of walnuts when walking along roadsides. Every year, James and I pick walnuts and pecans.
Fruits to forage this time of year are Pears, apples, and persimmons. These fruit trees may not be growing in the woods, but they may be growing in an abandoned lot or alongside the road; but there is no need to forage these fruits when your neighbors have them growing in their yard. I have actually picked some apples and persimmons from neighbors' trees because they did not want them.

My struggle with picking persimmons is that I have to wait till they drop to ensure they are ripe. I recommend freezing persimmons overnight to take out the astringent properties. Here are the photos I took of our Apple and persimmon forage. I did not pick many persimmons because there were not many on the ground. It seems that the squirrels and other critters are getting to them quicker than I.

Original post @ Apple, Persimmon, & Nut Foraging in Fall months

-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, how I wish to get my hands on your harvest, hahahaaa. Do you know that we love persimmons? And we can only buy the cheap ones that come from Asia. The American and New Zealand persimmons are too expensive. But I wonder how the gourd got there. It is an odd man with the wonderful fruits. Will you be making cider from those bountiful apple harvest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Love persimmons! They're in season here now, and whilst I don't grow them myself I do buy them from the grocery store. I'd never even tried them before moving to Japan.

I'd like to try making jam with them, I've heard it's pretty tasty!

Reaction score
I can only dream of foraging for a harvest like this. You are so lucky to have something like this so close to home. All of these goodies look delicious. I would love to get my hands on persimmons this time of year. They make excellent cookies!

Reaction score
Wow, you are so lucky to love so close to a forest! It's amazing that kind of things can grow there and I will definitely check that other thread you created on the subject. I think it can come in handy one of these days, you never know.

Reaction score
I can only dream of foraging for a harvest like this. You are so lucky to have something like this so close to home. All of these goodies look delicious. I would love to get my hands on persimmons this time of year. They make excellent cookies!

I thought the same, I wish we had a forest nearby. I've been dreaming of that for so long, I think that is one of the reasons why I've always liked the idea of living in a place like Finland or Norway :) I've a friend who lives in Finland, she lives close the forest and during summer she and her little one go collect berries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, I'd love to live near a forest too:) It's one of my dreams.

To be honest, I've never eaten persimmones. They look like really weird apples, haha;) What do they taste like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Incredible harvest and I love persimmons too. I don't live anywhere near the woods now but before we went picking wild blueberries and it was a lot of fun until the mosquitoes feast on us.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a lot of wild persimmon trees along the backroads here in Tennessee. Every fall, my 4 year old begs me to take him for a walk so we can pick them up and eat them. For those who have never had a persimmon, they tastelike a little piece of heaven! We use them to make a spread kind of like apple butter.

Ask a Question