Apple/Pear Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have moved into a new house about 4 years ago and we have a couple of fruit trees on the property. We have what I believe is to be an Arkansas Black Apple tree and some type of yellow apple along with a couple of pear trees. All 4 trees are very avid producers! Each year I can count on a huge production of fruit. What I am wondering about is if these trees sometimes go through an "off" season? I am very new to fruit trees, as this is the first time I have ever encountered them while living here. It seems like when my apple trees are producing like crazy, my pear trees seem to be lacking and vice versa. Don't get me wrong, the amount of fruit yielded is unreal! Just that each year, one seems to be "out doing" the other. Just curious really.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have moved into a new house about 4 years ago and we have a couple of fruit trees on the property. We have what I believe is to be an Arkansas Black Apple tree and some type of yellow apple along with a couple of pear trees. All 4 trees are very avid producers! Each year I can count on a huge production of fruit. What I am wondering about is if these trees sometimes go through an "off" season? I am very new to fruit trees, as this is the first time I have ever encountered them while living here. It seems like when my apple trees are producing like crazy, my pear trees seem to be lacking and vice versa. Don't get me wrong, the amount of fruit yielded is unreal! Just that each year, one seems to be "out doing" the other. Just curious really.

I'm no expert, but, I've heard of something called "Biennial bearing", where they only bear adequate fruit every other year. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/apple-trees-not-bear-fruit-year-56610.html

Perhaps they are both doing this, but on alternate years?

Ask a Question