Aphids

Reaction score
How do you keep aphids from sucking the life out of your plants. This season out little butterfly plant was seriously damaged by aphids. I am not one to spray chemicals on my plants because it will run off into the ground. I personally don't want to do that because I feel that taking good care of the ground is important and I don't want to pollute it. Are there any natural ways to keep aphids away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
bulants because it will run off into the ground. I personally don't want to do that because I feel that taking good care of the ground is important and I don't want to pollute it. Are there any natural ways to keep aphids away?[/QUOTE]
There are numerous safe organic ways to repel, control and eliminate aphids. You can blast them with a strong stream of water. Aphids are sucking insects sort of like a tick. When a tick bites a person it doesn't let go and bite you somewhere else. The same thing with aphids. When you blast them off of the plant their head stays. You have to blast them often though. You can repel them by spraying them with garlic tea and liquid seaweed. You can kill them by spraying them with diluted dishwashing liquid. However the best way to eliminate and control them is to use an organic bacterial spray with the active ingredient Spinosad. Completely safe for humans and pets it will also control many other pests such as stink bugs and caterpillars and it will not hurt your soil in any way

Reaction score
How do you keep aphids from sucking the life out of your plants. This season out little butterfly plant was seriously damaged by aphids. I am not one to spray chemicals on my plants because it will run off into the ground. I personally don't want to do that because I feel that taking good care of the ground is important and I don't want to pollute it. Are there any natural ways to keep aphids away?

I personally like to use soap and water, I spray that on the plant, then I later remove that soapy mix with a bit more water. I do that when I know the plant will get some direct sunlight later on. I guess you can leave that on if your plant doesn't really get direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Africa destroyed my potted plants about 3 years ago when I lived in an apartment. It was so bad that I had to wrap each plant in a plastic bag before I got rid of them. So sad.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I hope that saves my plants next year. I will definitely try soapy water first as that sees like the least expensive and gentlest method, if that isn't enough I'll get the product.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get some chili peppers, preferably the hottest kind, and simmer them in hot water. Once the water cools pour it into a spray bottle and spray on your plants. It will not hurt your plants but will deter and kill aphids and any other annoying insect. I also recommend getting an army of lady bugs. They will eat all the aphids.

Ask a Question