Aphids! Help please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United States
So I have a lot of different fruit trees, roses, and vegetables that attract aphids. They for me, are the absolute hardest thing to get rid of! Originally they started on my apricot trees and we managed to get rid of them there... but it seems they have migrated to my radishes in my raised garden bed which is very close to my previously infested trees. I’ve used neem oil, I have all the companion plants to keep them away and nothing still. It’s very discouraging. :( It’s seems to have gotten worse and the infestation happened overnight to my radishes. I’m worried they are going to migrate to my raspberries and other plants and kill them. I live in Boulder City, so imagine Las Vegas weather.. HOT! Haha, Any advice or suggestions? Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Try spraying cold water on the leaves; sometimes all aphids need is a cool blast to dislodge them. Typically they are unable to find their way back to the same plant.
2. One variation of this soap-water mix includes cayenne pepper: Stir together 1 quart water, 1 tsp liquid dish soap, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Do not dilute before spraying on plants.
3. Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a non-toxic, organic material that will kill aphids. Do not apply DE when plants are in bloom; it is harmful to pollinators, too.

Its best for fruit or shade trees, to spray dormant horticultural oil to kill overwintering aphid eggs in the Winter.

The best choice is beneficial insects. If you don't want to use sprays then try some beneficial insects such as ladybugs, lacewings, and parasitic wasps, that will feed on aphids. Supplemental populations of these insects can be ordered online and should help keep the aphid populations controlled from the start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO aphids are the easiest of garden pests to get rid of. There are times when the aphids are literally stuck to the plants and they can't move. This is the only time a stream of water will get rid of them as their mandibles are embedded into the plant and the stream of water rips their jaws off and kills them. The rest of the aphids are just washed off of the plant and crawl off to another plant in the garden. There are a bunch of homemade remedies and they do work, up to a point but if you want to really rid yourself of them use a product called Spinosad Soap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United States
1. Try spraying cold water on the leaves; sometimes all aphids need is a cool blast to dislodge them. Typically they are unable to find their way back to the same plant.
2. One variation of this soap-water mix includes cayenne pepper: Stir together 1 quart water, 1 tsp liquid dish soap, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Do not dilute before spraying on plants.
3. Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a non-toxic, organic material that will kill aphids. Do not apply DE when plants are in bloom; it is harmful to pollinators, too.

Its best for fruit or shade trees, to spray dormant horticultural oil to kill overwintering aphid eggs in the Winter.

The best choice is beneficial insects. If you don't want to use sprays then try some beneficial insects such as ladybugs, lacewings, and parasitic wasps, that will feed on aphids. Supplemental populations of these insects can be ordered online and should help keep the aphid populations controlled from the start.
IMO aphids are the easiest of garden pests to get rid of. There are times when the aphids are literally stuck to the plants and they can't move. This is the only time a stream of water will get rid of them as their mandibles are embedded into the plant and the stream of water rips their jaws off and kills them. The rest of the aphids are just washed off of the plant and crawl off to another plant in the garden. There are a bunch of homemade remedies and they do work, up to a point but if you want to really rid yourself of them use a product called Spinosad Soap.
thank you for the advice!!!

Ask a Question