Aphelandra help?

Tam

Reaction score
I just bought this indoor plant called aphelandra. It has a beautiful flower on it right now but every day a bottom leaf drys up and falls off. Why would this be happening. Should I be getting rid of its flower now so the plant will put its nutrients into the foliage again?

Reaction score
The Aphelandra or Zebra plant does best in bright indirect sunlight or part shade. Long periods of light will help the plant to bloom more often. Too much or too little water is what causes the leaves to drop. Water when the top of the soil has just started to feel dry. The Aphelandra likes to be kept moist. Less water is needed during winter months or after the plant has flowered.

zebra-plant-aphelandra-squarrosa.jpg

Tam

Reaction score
The Aphelandra or Zebra plant does best in bright indirect sunlight or part shade. Long periods of light will help the plant to bloom more often. Too much or too little water is what causes the leaves to drop. Water when the top of the soil has just started to feel dry. The Aphelandra likes to be kept moist. Less water is needed during winter months or after the plant has flowered.

zebra-plant-aphelandra-squarrosa.jpg
Thanks so much for the info and the picture is exactly what my plant looks like. It seems to dry out very fast maybe my wood heat is making it dry out. I will make sure the soil is moist.

Reaction score
Looks so pretty. I really need to check if this plant is available in the local nurseries here. The leaves and the yellow flower contrast so well and look very attractive.

Reaction score
Not too sure about the Aphelandra but with most flowering plants, the flower is the final product of a stalk.

Like the roses which I use to grow a lot of. When the rose blooms at the end of the stalk, it's the end of the life cycle for that particular stalk. So I cut off that stalk very close to the main stem. Then I put the rose in a vase. This way, I get to enjoy the rose and I keep the rose plant healthy.

Ask a Question