Anything around the house that makes nice fertilizer?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody else likes to find out what refuse around the house actually winds up useful in the garden.

We have a pet house rabbit, and we LOVE using what we clean out of his cage for the garden. The mixture of rabbit feces, hay, old food, etc., is so beneficial. It seems like a fair trade because he enjoys much of what we grow. :)

What about you guys?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Odd that no one responded to this as we have had a few discussions about making your own and well as the use of green manure. Lots of people turn kitchen scraps into fertilizer through various means. Others use animal waste, as you mentioned above, or waste water from the fish tank.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to take the greens from salad, egg shells and tea leaves along with coffee grinds drop what I have into the blender and pour the mix around my roses bush. The bush really likes the mixture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We have a special compost bin. I put all kitchen scraps there. They make a great fertilizer. It's all natural:) My parents use it in their vegetable garden.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anything from the kitchen that can decompose and doesn't contain meat or oil. Shredded newspaper can be mixed with the compost or used as a ground cover to prevent weeds or to mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use banana peel, old coffee ground and egg shells crushed in my garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Animal manure particularly from those with feathers are very good fertilizers. We have a bin for the manure of our 3 dogs. When dried, we mix it with vermicompost and it seems a very potent fertilizer. Some other good fertilizer materials are vegetable and fruits leftover, the rind or even the flesh can serve as fertilizer when decayes. But most of all, the water used to rinse the fish and meat are very good fertilizers too.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My aunt used to place sawdust and egg shells in her plants (well, flowers, not crops), and she says it helps them grow (I was a kid so I assume she was simplifying it for me), but yeah, my aunt has a green thumb, so I never really doubt any of her "plant knowledge". Usually when I go to her house all her plants are filled with those sawdust and eggshells broken into even smaller pieces. Must work too, because her garden is very lovely.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Apart from the vegetable scraps that accumulate in the rubbish dump, I also use woodash also known as potash to sprinkle in the garden as it contains valuable minerals like potassium and sulphur. I am also looking at the possibility of using the soil regurgitated by white ants as a fertilizer.

Ask a Question