Anyone know what this is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
I inherited this house plant from my husband's grandmother when she went into hospice. It seems very happy and has doubled in size and now flowering, but I cant figure out what it is and how I should properly take care of it. Any help would be great!
image.jpg

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
this is a rex begonia ~ They like warmth and humidity best. Place it on a pebble tray of water or run a humidifier near it for best results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Thank you! It was killing me not to know what it is! I repotted it with a heavy peat moss mix and our house averages about 40 to 50% humidity. Is that good enough? It sits in a window that gets warm morning sun and seems to like it there.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Thank you! It was killing me not to know what it is! I repotted it with a heavy peat moss mix and our house averages about 40 to 50% humidity. Is that good enough? It sits in a window that gets warm morning sun and seems to like it there.

It will survive ... they really love tropical conditions, greenhouse type conditions to really do their best when indoors, so a high humidity is best. Water with filtered water and give low light, because their leaves tend to easily burn ...filtered through a light curtain is good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Thank you! I will pull it out of direct sunlight and once I get over the vicious cold I have, the plant can have my humidifier! Lol. PS. I will also look into an appropriate pebble base for it as well.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Thank you! I will pull it out of direct sunlight and once I get over the vicious cold I have, the plant can have my humidifier! Lol. PS. I will also look into an appropriate pebble base for it as well.
you're welcome! Good luck with it!

Ask a Question