Anyone know what this is (UK)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the name of this plant/Bush. My mum is wanting more for her garden, but cant for the life of her remember what they are named.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like Boxwood.
Hello Tjohn.

I think you are right. Going by a google search they seem very similar. Thank you for your time and assistance. Much appreciated! I shall go buy some more.

Regards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a Hebe. Look up Hebe green globe :)

@zigs @Tetters

Thank you both! I think this is the exact type that's in her garden. I might just pop to a garden centre/homebase and see if they have any for sale. Don't think she's patient enough to grow it from seed :)

I know nothing about plants/shrubs or the such. But would we be able to take a part of the hebe globe in her garden and plant it somewhere else? Would the shrub grow to what you see in the pics, or would it grow at all/die.

Thank you both for the response.
Regards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wotcha @Adam2173 ...cuttings from Hebes are really easy. You need to wait until late summer - say July or August, and then take some cuttings. Most shrubs (that's what Hebes are) are propagated by cuttings. Chop off some tips of the plant just over an inch long, take off a few of the lower leaves with a sharp razor blade (or similar knife) and stick the cuttings into moist compost in a seed tray or pot. You'll get about 30 cuttings in a half seed tray. Put your cuttings in a bright but shady place and keep them moist, but not waterlogged. That's it.
Just don't forget to give 'em a drop of water now and then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wotcha @Adam2173 ...cuttings from Hebes are really easy. You need to wait until late summer - say July or August, and then take some cuttings. Most shrubs (that's what Hebes are) are propagated by cuttings. Chop off some tips of the plant just over an inch long, take off a few of the lower leaves with a sharp razor blade (or similar knife) and stick the cuttings into moist compost in a seed tray or pot. You'll get about 30 cuttings in a half seed tray. Put your cuttings in a bright but shady place and keep them moist, but not waterlogged. That's it.
Just don't forget to give 'em a drop of water now and then.

Oh wow. That easy eh! I didn't expect that. Thought it would be much more complicated. Thank you very much for the detailed response! Sounds like a fun project for her. Perhaps for me too. Let's say everything goes well, will they be ready to go outside the spring/summer the year after?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Leave your cuttings in the seed tray/pot until roots are obvious and then pot them up in 3 inch pots to make a nice root ball. This is the best time to plant them out in the garden.
That particular Hebe is good and hardy. The Hebes with bigger leaves are the slightly more tender ones.
I propagated thousands of them when I was at work...... it was my job :rolleyes:
Hope you enjoy the process - you might find you'll get hooked like I did!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Leave your cuttings in the seed tray/pot until roots are obvious and then pot them up in 3 inch pots to make a nice root ball. This is the best time to plant them out in the garden.
That particular Hebe is good and hardy. The Hebes with bigger leaves are the slightly more tender ones.
I propagated thousands of them when I was at work...... it was my job :rolleyes:
Hope you enjoy the process - you might find you'll get hooked like I did!!

Thanks again for the detailed response! I've always had an interest in this sort of stuff. Who knows, might be my next hobby and might just get hooked :) I look forward to July/August so we can get started with the process. Will drop by and update my progress from time to time. Should anyone be interested.

Thanks again, Tetters!
Take care.

Ask a Question