Anyone have success with this?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had seen this idea going around Facebook and thought I would give it a try. This is Bok Choy and Romain Lettuce.

I was pretty impressed with how they started out but then was not organized to do anything with them after that and sadly they just withered away.

Wondering if anyone here has had any success with this way of starting new vegetables and if so, when do you put into soil?

Attachments

• 11312441_434679410070067_1201706569_n.jpg
    11312441_434679410070067_1201706569_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The method you indicate is not anyway practical. Both Bok Choy and Romaine Lettuce grow well in a little soil. I grow them from seed usually starting indoors or buy eight plants each from a supplier. Unfortunately they all mature within a few days. What does one do with 8 one foot diameter romaine and eight bok choy almost as large?

Reaction score
I had seen this idea going around Facebook and thought I would give it a try. This is Bok Choy and Romain Lettuce.

I was pretty impressed with how they started out but then was not organized to do anything with them after that and sadly they just withered away.

Wondering if anyone here has had any success with this way of starting new vegetables and if so, when do you put into soil?

I tried the same after checking a Pinterest post ;) They rot :( I might have used a little too much water maybe! They didn't mention soil in that Pinterest post, so I didn't. I guess this is more complicated than they want us to believe :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They look so cute! I want to have a tiny Romain Lettuce on a window sill in my kitchen too:D
I tried this with carrot tops, but I never put them into soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I will definitely try this next time I bought romain letter and bok choy! I have not thing to loose except a little time using the left over of what I have eaten. Hopefully, I will see something grows :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are very cute, but I usually just start my lettuce in a large pot or directly in the ground. I have not tried doing bok choy yet but will probably start soon because I have been using it a lot more in my cooking.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm starting to think that these are "fun" to start and yes, they do look cute on the window sill but other than that, maybe a waste of time.
I don't think I'm going to bother with it again for a leafy type of plant but I just may try some other things just to see if it works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We also plant leftover bok choy or mustard but not romaine lettuce because the romaine lettuce sold here have no more roots. With bok choy, we use the young leaves as ingredient for the Chinese noodles that we sometimes cook. The mustard is a favorite here when used as garnishing of a fish dish called "sinigang sa miso" which has bean paste as the main flavoring.

Ask a Question