Anyone have coffee as a house plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know the coffee plant is a shrub, but I have heard of people growing them indoors, and they actually get a few cups of coffee from them from time to time. I am insanely interested in doing this. The only thing holding me back is the price for an already started plant. I really don't have the patience to coddle seedlings, if I can trust what I've read about them. Does anyone have any experience with this lovely plant?

Reaction score
I do not, but you have certainly gotten my interest. I am quite the coffee person and would love to have a coffee plant of my own, but I don't have the money to buy an expensive plant either. I would think a coffee plant would be pretty happy indoors as it would get the temperatures it needs. Coffee grows in warmer parts of the world, so I don't think it would make it outdoors in much of the US.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have first hand experience with this plant yet, no, but I'm with you on being insanely interested. My gardening has to be mainly inside now, living in an apartment, and this sounds like such a wonderful addition to an indoor garden. I wonder how hard it would be to keep up with? I'm going to have to investigate a little further :).

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my research on coffee, I learned that the coffee fruit, known as the coffee cherry is edible and tastes yummy, although there isn't much substance to it. During the coffee making process, the fruit around the coffee bean is sometimes not discarded after the bean is squeezed out of it. The locals take the fruits, dry them, brew, and make a tea out of them known as cascara. I would love to try a cup of that!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This caught my eye because I love coffee and have been wanting to try and roast my own beans but this would be even more amazing to actually grow my own beans. How much does an already started plant generally cost?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that a plant about ready to bear fruit is somewhere around $50 to $70. Younger trees probably cost less.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that a plant about ready to bear fruit is somewhere around $50 to $70. Younger trees probably cost less.
Thanks - that's a little more than my budget can take at the moment so I will have to stick with buying my beans from the stores. If you end up planting one, come back and update on your progress! I am really interested

Ask a Question